BBQ Charms - Luck charms

chibi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I know this may sound weird but does anyone( and I know some do) have a good luck charm they must have at comps? Pics and stories of how it became important to you are welcome.

Michael

After having met you this past summer at the BBQ contest in Parker Co.
I would think that your family is your best "good luck charm"

We have bead necklaces that my 4 year old made us at the Yates Center contest this year. They are complete with pink airplanes and blue cars. We ended up taking first in chicken and seventh overall.

I would have to say that my team is our best good luck charm... OK, we do have this rubber chicken that hasn't hurt either....

Well there's this pair of underwear ........:eek::eek:

Hate to tell you but lucky charms are not what's needed. Concentration, skill, repeatable process are my lucky charms. Then there's the roll of the dice for what table you get.:roll:

Hate to tell you but lucky charms are not what's needed. Concentration, skill, repeatable process are my lucky charms. Then there's the roll of the dice for what table you get.:roll:

Yeah I am not looking for a good luck charm, as Grillman said my family is all the good luck charm I need.
I just have some friends that have some "charms" that they cannot be without at comps. Wanted to see others "charms".

Michael

I agree 100% Ford - It's those Farking bad tables that will kick you in the nads:shock:

No lucky charms but I do at times get supersitious. Wore my same t-shirt, shorts, socks, etc for 3 straight contest after we won our grand. Of course I washed them in between which probably is why I didn't get another grand this year.

Somehow, the more we go out, the more little "traditions" we are loathe to forsake.

It all started with VQ's flame shirt. Then there were flame sunglasses to match.

Most of our shows involve long car rides, so you know we're on a business trip when the flame sunglasses come out and we have the satellite radio on the blues channel. At some point, we must sing "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road" to a classic blues song. If we actually SEE a dead skunk in the middle of the road, well, that's golden (not nearly as common out here).

There are all kinds of repeatable things, some that were purely coincidental, some that started as inside jokes, but they all add to the fun of it. And it's all about fun, right?

I have a Hula Girl that sits on top of my Spicewine which was given to me for my birthday by brother Spice and the rest of Team Q. Won chicken and ribs that weekend. She brought me good luck all year. Thanks for giving her up Jay.

100_1432-1.jpg

Don't be such a spoilsport. :roll:

We believe in BBQ Karma. We don't ever travel without a couple of things. The first is our sacrificial BBQ tent that the swine syndicate (wittdog & family) made for us after we lost 4 tents in our first year. Its a piece of flame fabric attached to tent pegs. Its travelled on planes and everywhere we have gone. We haven't lost a tent since.
DSCF7166.jpg

Also there is a rubber chicken that was given to me by a really close bbq friend Brian Witteveen from Strodes BBQ gave us. It was to remind us that yes it takes skill and knowledge but you have to always have a sense of humour and have fun while you are doing it.

I pour some Jack on my cooker as soon as a fire is lit. I also play the song Dr. Love by Kiss when I wake up on Saturday morning. Neither of these things has helped, but what the heck.

You used to be a little religious sbout your head coverings didnt you?

No lucky charms but I do at times get supersitious. Wore my same t-shirt, shorts, socks, etc for 3 straight contest after we won our grand. Of course I washed them in between which probably is why I didn't get another grand this year.

Maybe I need to start playing some Stevie Wonder at comps, cause superstition and me go hand in hand - well that or I'm too repetitive.

I'm sure a few people have noticed that I generally wear the same pair of shorts and that straw hat to awards ceremony. I do that because I was wearing them when I got my first call and had never worn either at a comp prior to that (we got 1st in ribs, 1st in pork, 6th in brisket and RGC that day). After the Royal, I even marked which team shirt I wore to that awards ceremony and plan on wearing that shirt to many more.

Well actually we play the Lumberjack Song by Jackyal at precisely 11:30am Saturday morning before first turn in. Did it once and got 3 Top 10's and a Top 10 overall. Every time we play the song we get a call, every time we dont we dont do so well... Coincidence ??

I used to always listen to Dixie Chicken right before I arrived at the contest site And I have a dubloon that was thrown to me in New Orleans at a St. Patricks Day parade many years ago that's always in the drawer. This stuff used to work pretty well. I think I'll try to find that old Little Feat CD.

Somehow, the more we go out, the more little "traditions" we are loathe to forsake.

It all started with VQ's flame shirt. Then there were flame sunglasses to match.

Most of our shows involve long car rides, so you know we're on a business trip when the flame sunglasses come out and we have the satellite radio on the blues channel. At some point, we must sing "Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road" to a classic blues song. If we actually SEE a dead skunk in the middle of the road, well, that's golden (not nearly as common out here).

There are all kinds of repeatable things, some that were purely coincidental, some that started as inside jokes, but they all add to the fun of it. And it's all about fun, right?

And you can't think of anything else?

Oh and Scotland the brave and amazing grace on bag pipe 7:00 am day of contest works for me:biggrin:

Back