Cooking Classes

Which competition cooking class would you recommend?

• Rod Gray/Johnny Trigg

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • Bob Snelson

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Mike Davis BBQ Class

Votes: 13 17.8%
  • Paul Kirk

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • BS Pitmeisters - Charles Fretwell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other - please name

Votes: 19 26.0%

• Total voters

KC_Bobby

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Any recommendations for a BBQ cooking classes? We're looking to take one geared toward KCBS competition cooking before next season. If you've taken a class, please list if you liked it or not and if you were to go again what specific information you either got out of it or what you would like to go back and ask.

Here's what's listed on KCBS.
Rod Gray/Johnny Trigg
Bob Snelson
Mike Davis BBQ Class
Paul Kirk
BS Pitmeisters - Charles Fretwell

You forgot...

Dr BBQ - Ray Lampe
Fast Eddy/Head Country
Music City Pig Pals
Chris Lilly

I'd need multiple choice... I recommend both Lotta Bull & Rod Gray. I'd like to do a Dr BBQ class sometime. I think the Fast Eddy class at Cookshack may be next on my list.

Several of us LIFO's had the opportunity to take a class with Dr. BBQ, aka Ray Lampe earlier this year.
I vote for OTHER and am pleased to add Ray to the list.

Last edited:
I've taken classes from the following individuals and would recommend any and or all of them:

1. Bill and Barbara Milroy aka Texas Rib Rangers
2. Myron Mixon
3. Fast Eddy Maurin and Paul Schatte
4. Mike Davis
5. Chris Lilly

I'm looking forward to taking a class from Rod Gray and Johnny Trigg next year.

I've picked up something different from all of them that I use in every contest. All were great classes and good people.

I know that the ‘Bullsheet’ lists out a number of classes. Is there anywhere else we should look?

Several of us LIFO's had the opportunity to take a class with Dr. BBQ, aka Ray Lampe earlier this year.
I vote for OTHER and am pleased to Ray to the list.

LIFO's?

dontcha mean NYFO'S

Had a good time at Ray's very informative class. My only complaint with it was seeing as it was a Brethren event it came very close to just becoming one big party. I will not for the record divulge if I was for or against it, but it did seem to bother some folks.

Anyone know how to add more choices to the poll? Me not smart enough.

I know that the ‘Bullsheet’ lists out a number of classes. Is there anywhere else we should look?

The ones I listed were off of KCBS's website, without looking I'm guessing they are the same.

I do not recommend Sneldons class. That is all.
I'd like to take Dr BBQ class, christmas is coming.

Rod Gray and Johnny Trigg are coming to Shannon, Illinois on April 4-5th 2008.

Yes Sean, we were NYFO's and I stand corrected.
Personally, I had a great time (except for the frigid cold) and appreciated the chance to learn from and practice with a true professional.

Cooking Class Follow Up

Did not want to high jack a previous thread but did want to ask a question or two regarding cooking classes. Here goes.

I have not taken any of the classes, but for those that have, a few questions

1. Have you seen your scores go up in comps, or have you taken more walks due to the class.
2. Overall how do you feel that the classes have helped?
3. How do you measure what you have gotten from these classes.
4. What other quantifiable ways have these classes helped?

I understand that the I Smell Smoke class is very worthwhile. Hope to take it someday.

I want to take them all, what the heck they all are winners so lets get the mother load. but I am with Todd on this one you forgot a some of the big names also. so it is never to late to make things right.

Ray your class is on my wish list. My wife says yes.

I didn't forget, I got that list of names off of the KCBS site based on their currently scheduled classes. I did try to add names, but I'm too stupid to figure out how.

We have not taken any classes but would love to take Rod's/Trigg's class and Mike Davis's class. We have heard lots of good things from both of these.

I do not recommend Sneldons class.quote]

Ditto here. I had cooked three contests total when I took his class and I already knew everything he taught. Had some guys from Alabama who were converting MIM cooks and I think they asked ME more questions than they did Snelson. Maybe I was ahead of the learning curve since I had you all here to learn from! :wink:

The Dr.BBQ Competition class was great! He makes it look so easy, and it was the one I got the most out of. Ray took the time to check our progress between demonstrations and answered any questions very thoughtfully. It was an overnight class too, simulating a KCBS comp. It was nice to have Jim Minion there too!

The Paul Kirk class was good also, but it was a daylong affair, and even though I'm a newbie, there were some things I was scratching my head over, like nothing about garnishing turn in boxes, boning a butt, cooking whole chickens etc. But he did spend a lot of time on spices and rubs, sauces and sausage which I did enjoy.

I'd probably take any of the classes listed if they came through the PNW.

Do the Pellet Envy or Fast Eddy classes focus on competition or is it geared towards the respective cookers?

Back