Jeff from KC brisket chili

condy

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Very large group of friends went camping to Garner SP here in Texas and we had a chili cook-off on Fri.
Around 12 entries, all home made, I made Jeff’s brisket chili, I smoked a chuck roast before hand and double all ingredients.
I won first place, most everyone raved about it, I talked to some of the judges, seems it was unique to any of the other chili’s, but very hot/spicy. I thought this was odd because I did not add any hot peppers, only reg. rotel and mild hot sauce. But I did double the recipe which added 6 Tbls of chili powder, and when I tasted it, it seemed like too much chili powder.
Anyway, it was disqualified because the rules stated that all chili must be made on site, no pre-marinated or pre-cooked meat could be used. Oh well, it was some good chili.
One person complained that it tasted too much like BBQ, that "chili should not taste like BBQ", sorry, I had to slap her.
Next year I will bring the pit with me and start smoking at 12:01.
Just wanted to give some props to Jeff……….great chili!!

Damn, that's two first places with that chili. I'm even more hacked off I got the weekend of our local contest wrong and missed it! Oh well, we're organizing one at our church in January or February. Glad you did well with it!

condy said:
Around 12 entries, all home made, I made Jeff’s brisket chili, I smoked a chuck roast before hand and double all ingredients.
I won first place, most everyone raved about it, I talked to some of the judges, seems it was unique to any of the other chili’s, but very hot/spicy.
Anyway, it was disqualified because the rules stated that all chili must be made on site

Am I missing something? You won 1st place but was disqualified? :confused:

tommykendall said:
Am I missing something? You won 1st place but was disqualified? :confused:

Same as BBQ competitions that won't let you pre-marinate or start smoking before the start time.

condy said:
I smoked a chuck roast before hand and double all ingredients.

Ok Jeff, I know you have, but post the recipe one more time or e-mail to me. mwhitebook at kcbs.us Maybe we can see how well it does at the Law School this Febr.

Thanks
Merl

I have also used brisket for making chilli. Good stuff!

frognot said:
Same as BBQ competitions that won't let you pre-marinate or start smoking before the start time.

My point was - if you get disqualified you don't get jack chit do you? I did a chili comp several weeks ago that had similar rules and I turned some people in before the judging even started.

tommykendall said:
My point was - if you get disqualified you don't get jack chit do you? I did a chili comp several weeks ago that had similar rules and I turned some people in before the judging even started.
razz.gif

Back