• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

twice smoked ham

You revived an old thread that was born on a slow day with only about 100 members, and turned it into one hell of a quality ham thread

Bill
I thought I was posting to the current "BBQ Ham" thread, not sure how I got here. :roll:

Did a ham and a turkey today. My wife LOVES twice smoked ham. Tastes to me like a virginia ham, which is okay except why settle when you can go straight to the real deal? No worries though, I have a fridge with DAYS of smoked leftovers, a crockpot with a smoked hamhock and beans going. Life is good, and a waist is a terrible thing to mind.

I tried Dr. Chicken's 2X smoked ham. Delicious!! Now I am gettting ready to smoke 5 more for my employees.

If you are going to smoke a ham tomorrow, I strongly reccommend this one. Its wha I'll be cooking for Easter dinner along with a brisket. I have a 24 lb. whole bone-in ready for injection.

Here is a recipe for Dr Chicken's Double smoked ham, very good.

Glazing Sauce:

½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup maple syrup (use dark grade B real maple syrup if available)(dark grade B has more flavor than grade A)
¼ cup honey
2 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 – 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp instant coffee granules (use a good brand because it makes a difference)
1 Tbsp dry ground mustard
2 Tbsp orange juice concentrate

Enjoy!!! El Chefo Dave (aka: Dr. Chicken)

This glaze is disgusting. It is the worst thing I have ever qued on the egg. Ruined the whole meal. The coffee really drive it over the edge.

This glaze is disgusting. It is the worst thing I have ever qued on the egg. Ruined the whole meal. The coffee really drive it over the edge.

Wow! That's a pretty strong statement. It was too sweet for me, but I'm not a fan of very sweet stuff. Otherwise it taste fine.

Not sure how I missed this thread originally (oh yeah I wasn't a member yet), but I do love double smoking hams.:nod:

A blast from the past. I've sure double smoked lotsof cheap hams since then.
I've pretty much settled on a mustard slather/dry rub. Savory; not sweet.

Time for a Christmas 2011 bump?

I love twice smoked hams. I usually just glaze with brown sugar and melted butter. Turns out fantastic! I am doing 2 this year, one for my fam and one for the inlaws. Nothing like firing up the smoker early xmas morning.

I'm getting the ham out of the brine this weekend and as it's going to be between 0°C and 4°C for the next week it's going to be cold smoked all week and then roasted on Christmas Eve.
So not technically a twice smoked ham but it'll have five days of smoke on it!

I'm getting the ham out of the brine this weekend and as it's going to be between 0°C and 4°C for the next week it's going to be cold smoked all week and then roasted on Christmas Eve.
So not technically a twice smoked ham but it'll have five days of smoke on it!

Did you brine a pre-cooked pre-smoked ham? That sounds interesting. Do you have to worry about it turning out salty? Or does the brine not call for any salt?

Back