Pork Shoulders and Whole Chickens

GMDGeek

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Just got asked to cook for a church dinner ... they have 6 Pork Shoulders (bone in) weighing an average of 8.5lbs. They are going to buy chickens this week and were wanting to know how many to get. Estimated they will have 300 people. I know the norm is around 1/2 lb per person... I'm thinking 12 to 14 chickens but want to check with my fellow brethren.

Thanks,
Gerry

Anyone else agree with my math? 6 shoulder and 14 chickens be enough for 300 peeps where we will be serving them.... its all getting pulled / shredded and going on buns (that is their request).

I've never cooked for that many people, but the other day I was reading a caterer's website and he listed some suggested food amounts per person when ordering for a party. He listed options for one meat and two meats. If one meat, it was 5 ounces per person pork or beef, or 1 chicken for 3 people. If two meats, then 4 ounces per person and 1 chicken for 4 people. And I'm sure the beef and pork weights were post cook.

Going by this and your estimated 300, you'll need 75 chickens and 75lbs of cooked pork.

Like I said, I read this from a caterer's website, but it sounds right. But this is assuming you are allowing people to eat from both meats.

That does not sound like enough at all.....

8.5 lb bone in shoulder will yield about 4.5 lb of meat each ..... that's a total of 27 lbs cooked pork. at 1/2 lb per person that is 54 servings.

chickens will give 6 pieces per bird.....14 birds will give 84 pieces

It is a church function however....a quick prayer like John 6:11 and you never know how many you could feed.

That does not sound like enough at all.....

8.5 lb bone in shoulder will yield about 4.5 lb of meat each ..... that's a total of 27 lbs cooked pork. at 1/2 lb per person that is 54 servings.

chickens will give 6 pieces per bird.....14 birds will give 84 pieces

It is a church function however....a quick prayer like John 6:11 and you never know how many you could feed.

I think he said it is all getting shredded or pulled. So I think they will be doing pulled pork and shredded chicken sandwiches.

But I still don't think its enough for 300 people, but I am not sure how many shredded chicken sandwiches you get from a chicken

I think he said it is all getting shredded or pulled....

I got to typing and lost track of that. If each bird is about 2.5 lbs - 3 lbs. Lets just say you get 2.5 lbs of shredded/pulled chicken from each bird. 14 birds would give a total of 35 lbs of chicken meat. With the 1/2 pound serving there is still only enough for 70 servings.

If both pork and chicken were 1/4 lb servings there would still only be enough for 70 chicken and 108 pork. That would leave 122 hungry people.

They picked up 2 more pork shoulders and are getting 24 birds. That is about the max of their budget. So, I'll have to make it work. I am still worried about not having enough space on the pit to cook it all at once but I can work around that.

They picked up 2 more pork shoulders and are getting 24 birds. That is about the max of their budget. So, I'll have to make it work. I am still worried about not having enough space on the pit to cook it all at once but I can work around that.

Don't be afraid with pulled pork and chicken to cook ahead of time and vacuum seal and freeze. Just reheat by dropping bags in boiling water

Well, more have been fed with less.:pray: A prayer over the cooker wouldn't hurt either. I'm sure you will get everything ready in time. So, best of luck. I'm sure the church appreciates everything you are doing for them.

I don't know if they have the volunteer support to pull it off but plating will have less waste than buffet style.

Maybe you could ask for people to bring bigger quantities of sides. Also give them 2-3 slices of bread.

That is the plan - I'll be doing the shoulders the day before ... just to take some pressure off. They do have a lot of sides that are being brought. It is for a good cause, raising money so the young women can go to girls camp.

I think we can make it work. I honestly am not sure what the turn out will be. In the past they've averaged around 100-125 people, then they were doing spaghetti dinners. For some reason, when word got out they had me cooking the response went way up. Guess they like my BBQ ... Either way, going to be a good learning experience.

Back