Ravioli on the Range.....PrOn sorta

CharredApron

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
Started out with some meat that I was not even remotely familiar with. Kobe Beef Cheeks. I asked my butcher " What does this resemble?" " Short ribs" he replied. Hmmm, I thought, "can I smoke them?" I asked. He said " I don't care what you do with them, just don't bring them back around here!"

FusionThrowdown001_zps6c9a9715.jpg

So I started up the Supercollider after I figured out where the extension cord was ( I assumed it was solar powered, You know what happens when you assume)
selected my ingredients

FusionThrowdown003_zps65b819d6.jpg

Made some pasta dough

pasta002_zpsc60ebf64.jpg

selected my spices

MoinkBalls001_zpsb522cd48.jpg

Rolled out my pasta dough

MoinkBalls003_zps08d4eff0.jpg

Prepped the cheeks for the smoker and let em rip!

pasta007_zps51743c52.jpg

after 3 hours at 275* braised them in Red Eye Gravy left over from Sunday's Easter Ham/

MoinkBalls008_zps04e0e99f.jpg

After 2 hours at low and slow 250+/- Pulled the cheeks and chopped them. Returned to the brasier and simmered with ****ake mushrooms until tender.

MoinkBalls011_zpsd4a7f00b.jpg

Finished the cook, cooled the meat and cut my ravioli's, stuffed and sealed them with a fork and set aside.

finalfusion001_zps058457a4.jpg

All done and ready for the pot

finalfusion002_zpsfa505683.jpg

Final plate with sauce. Mini ravioli pizzas
Please use this as my official entry shot

finalfusion003_zps220ec124.jpg

West meets East " Ravioli on the range"

Thanks for lookin!
Jed

How were they, sounds like a Fusion for sure. Nice entry

How were they, sounds like a Fusion for sure. Nice entry
They were really beefy. More savory than short ribs, tons of deep tissue and fat flavor. As I would say....smokin! Thanks for askin.
Jed

Nice looking cook! Beef cheeks are realllly beefy, aren't they? Don't want to isolate that meat too much.

And for the record, I don't think they taste anything like short ribs. It is a fatty, hugely intense beef flavor. I think your butcher was just trying to get you out the door..... :)

And for the record, I don't think they taste anything like short ribs. It is a fatty, hugely intense beef flavor. I think your butcher was just trying to get you out the door..... :)
You are so right Marty. Fatty and immense beef flavor. Not the last time I wll do one of these. Most recommendations were only to braise them. OMG what a great cut to smoke. It took on so much smokey flavor and the I opted to braise it afterwards with some simple Asian spice and it was like BAM. Full on flavor, that will stand up to anything bold.
Thanks for your comments,
Jed

Sure looks great,nice Job

That it. You convinced me. One of the few cuts I have never cooked. Gonna go find some. Nice work. Ravioli looks great.

I've been called Beef Cheeks by Wilkat a few times, but I've never cooked beef cheeks!

That's a beautiful plate of food! Great job!

You spelled shiitake wrong.:p:wink:
Nice product!

Back