Hello fellow bar-b-quer's! I had a question on air flow for my first UDS build.Ive seen a lot of UDS with the ball valve extened with a pipe so you wont have to bend down to fine tune the air flow. Will this allow enough airflow through since the air has to travel a longer and more complicated distance to get to the fire instead of a short straight shot? I would love to be able to control the ball valve standing but dont want to lose air flow to the fire.

I was concerned about this, too, so I used a larger diameter pipe/valve. I planned to use 1", but slightly over-drilled the hole so I went to 1 1/4" diameter. Works great for me. The ball valves do get more pricey as the size goes up, though, so the extension handle is a good alternative.

I was concerned about this, too, so I used a larger diameter pipe/valve. I planned to use 1", but slightly over-drilled the hole so I went to 1 1/4" diameter. Works great for me. The ball valves do get more pricey as the size goes up, though, so the extension handle is a good alternative.

Thanks BubbaCoy for the quick response, if its not a problem for you and so many others ive seen i think ill be fine!

Smart thinking

Here's an option, I have 3 extended valve adjusters on one of my drums;

assembly.jpg

This is a great idea you get the best of both worlds!

Building My First UDS

Justr started building my first UDS. 55 Gallon drums were really scarce around here so my Son In Law gave me one he had his deer corn in. The only problem is it has a liner in the drum. I got my weed burner out and "torched" this thing pretty good. I intend to torch it one more time to be sure. My question is, do I need to sand down the inside after the "torching". I've got the equipment but it looks like it could be a pain! Any of ya'll comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

PoppyJ

I added an exhaust pipe to my UDS that leaks. I've ruined 2 baskets of lump after forgetting to cover it. Grrrr

Can I use JB weld to seal it up without worrying about bad fumes when smoking on it?

Sent from my pocket computer ( G III)

I added an exhaust pipe to my UDS that leaks. I've ruined 2 baskets of lump after forgetting to cover it. Grrrr

Can I use JB weld to seal it up without worrying about bad fumes when smoking on it?

Sent from my pocket computer ( G III)

I would Use High Temp Silicon instead of JB. You don't need strength, just sealing.

I got a price to sandblast and powder coat my drum for $50, not high temp just regular. What do you guys think?

Aluminum melting point

Refurbed the fire basket for my UDS. The old design didn't last too long, I melted the aluminum pizza tray I was using to catch the ash and embers (Alum melt point:1,221°F...uh :oops:).

My guess is that it didn't get that hot, but rather corrosion from all that spicy, salty, rub/sauce/marinade dripping from that juicy, tender, meat smokin in the barrel. Aluminum is highly corrode-able. Just my two cents.

So where is a good place to get a steel pan at? I have been looking and cannot find one that is cheap. I don't want to spend $20 for a SS pizza pan just to catch ashes. Plus I want to be able to weld it to the legs of my basket.

Chad

A few UDS questions

So I have majority of my UDS built but have a couple issues/questions. I made a weldless fire basket but I am struggling to find stainless steel washers that are big enough to connect to my weber grill I'm using for the base. I heard you are not supposed to use galvanized or zinc coated???
Also this may be a stupid question, but do I need to do a barrel burn for a new drum?
Finally is there a preferred place to install my thermometer (on the lid or just under my bottom grate?

Thanks

10695 posts!!!

I built my UDS more than 4 years ago around post 3010 (page 201)

I look at the pictures and it looks so shiny and new. But its had a lot of meat through it since then (wow, that sounds really bad...) it is rusting a bit and I have been kicking around the idea of starting all over again.

The only problem is there are so many good ideas in this thread I can't decide how the new one will be built.

So I have majority of my UDS built but have a couple issues/questions. I made a weldless fire basket but I am struggling to find stainless steel washers that are big enough to connect to my weber grill I'm using for the base. I heard you are not supposed to use galvanized or zinc coated???
Also this may be a stupid question, but do I need to do a barrel burn for a new drum?
Finally is there a preferred place to install my thermometer (on the lid or just under my bottom grate?

Thanks

Just use some Zinc or galvanized washers. Soak them in some vinegar for about a week and it will take the zinc off. Install the thermometer just below the grate(s).

Minimum height between grates?

I was wondering what the minimum height between each grate would be in order to be able to set them up? i want as many grates as i could get in there to fit as many ribs as i could. Since ribs are relatively skinny, is 4 inches enough space for the grates to fall in place.

I installed my 3" Tell Tru therm between the grate and it doesn't register right in that location. 150* or so lower than actual grate temps. Thinking of moving it to the lid to try that out.

If one is good, two has to be better....

I built my first UDS about a month ago, it is farking fantastic. So I figured "how about two"? I scored a mini-UDS barrel from work. It was a grease barrel (hand-gun type grease) but it had a heavy duty plastic bag liner in it. I pulled out the liner, voila!, unlined barrel. I Scrounged some parts laying around and presto! a mini is born. Best part is all the parts from a Smokey Joe fit perfect. I still want to add some bling to it, but I smell a seasoning this weekend!! Thanks god I found this site, I found my calling in life. :clap:

100_4275.jpg

Back