We need help with our Pork!

HarleyGirl14226

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We’ve changed our recipe and process multiple times, but the judges hate it – and we can’t seem to get a good money muscle to put in. We thought we finally had it to the right tenderness/temp – but now our problem is it’s too barky. So barky that our brand new Wusthof Brisket Slicer had a hard time slicing through it without destroying it.

Any suggestions on how to keep it nice and dark (for appearance) but still a soft enough bark to slice/eat?

Spritzing with apple juice regularly can help. Less sugar in your rub will lesson bark. I usually cook one butt for money muscle and one for pulled.

Thanks everyone... Sadly, we are already spritzing, wrapping, etc... Going to play around with the timeline this weekend and maybe start wrapping earlier. Something has to help!

Sending you love too Matt... :wink:

Thanks everyone... Sadly, we are already spritzing, wrapping, etc... Going to play around with the timeline this weekend and maybe start wrapping earlier. Something has to help!

Sending you love too Matt... :wink:

Have you tried going very simple with the rub? Just S&P, garlic and some paprika for color?

Thinking pulling one butt for slice and keeping one in for pull/ bark may be the way to go. Might have to break down and take a comp class one o' these days

So, is yours coming out like this?

picnic.jpg

pulled-1.jpg

Because this is what I AIM for as to bark...

So, is yours coming out like this?

Nope. Not quite as "barky" as that... It's almost a combination of bark/skin that forms on the MM. Will try going back to the electric knife this weekend as well... Had gotten away from that when we purchased good knives.

Nope. Not quite as "barky" as that... It's almost a combination of bark/skin that forms on the MM. Will try going back to the electric knife this weekend as well... Had gotten away from that when we purchased good knives.

Well, I DO live in Memphis, you understand...:becky:
I think you're right though. Save your knife for brisket!

Are you cooking them in your Fatboy? Just curious I have a hard time getting ANY bark in my BWS.

Are you cooking them in your Fatboy? Just curious I have a hard time getting ANY bark in my BWS.

We have a FatBoy and we really don't have any problem getting bark on pork or brisket. We normally cook at about 250-270.

wallace

Guerry, if she is in KCBS, she will need color, but, not a crunchy or hard bark. It works against you most of the time. One of the reasons foiling at 165F works so well in comps, and letting it run until done, is you get a dark bark that is tender.

I am in favor of two butts, one for slices, one for pulling. I think Bludawg is right, slice down toward bark or use the electric. Definitely think you want to revisit the timing, temperature and when you foil.

Back