season new smoker?

ChiTown_Porker

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I friend of mine told me that i should season my new smoker, but didn't know how to do it himself. Is that something i should do for my new WSM? If so, how would i go about doing that?

Thanks Guys!

WSM's don't really need this because they have an enamel coating. Seasoning is normally to build a patina on metal to protect it and give a non-stick coating (iron skillets for example). However, since not all parts (nuts, bots, grids, etc) are enamel coated, I just give a quick spray on all parts with some PAM before the first cook. Just didn't seem right to me to not season a smoker. It's like a ritual almost with a new smoker.

Chris nailed it. You don't need to as it's ready to go after assembly. But if you must, a quick spray of PAM on the hardware will ease your concerns without hurting it.

WSM's don't really need this because they have an enamel coating. Seasoning is normally to build a patina on metal to protect it and give a non-stick coating (iron skillets for example). However, since not all parts (nuts, bots, grids, etc) are enamel coated, I just give a quick spray on all parts with some PAM before the first cook. Just didn't seem right to me to not season a smoker. It's like a ritual almost with a new smoker.

Yep. No need to season WSM, but what my esteemed colleague suggested, is exactly what I would do.

I season my smoker every season just to give it a nice fresh coat of smoke:) seriously you should load it up just like you are going to cook and fire it up without any food for a couple hours (spay the entire inside surface with Pam as mentioned earlier) with the temp at 240-250 degrees. Have fun.Hacksaw

I season my smoker every season just to give it a nice fresh coat of smoke:) seriously you should load it up just like you are going to cook and fire it up without any food for a couple hours (spay the entire inside surface with Pam as mentioned earlier) with the temp at 240-250 degrees. Have fun.Hacksaw
I agree with Chris, but I don't think you need to do a 2 hour pre-cook on this unit. On others (like my Lang), I did the pre-cook because it doesn't come coated....

Back