• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Competition Ribs...

A

Andrew

I keep hearing this and that.

im not asking for everyones secrets but what is a common taste to shoot for?

Dry?
BBQ sauce?
i keep hearing judges like really really sweet like almost a candy coating.

but if all the judges are different how is there a standard?

It can be regional in terms of taste. Out here it is sweet with a touch of heat.

Good to know....

I'm soon to find out. Moving from the Mid-Atlantic region to California. We shall see how it changes

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

It could be regional, but also some to do with which sanctioning bodies. For example, I think in MBN it's not unusual to see a Memphis Style (no sauce) rib (although I've seen less and less of these over the years), but in KCBS is probably is rather unusual.

Same with flavors, but trends in this area have been towards the sweeter with a little sauce (but not over-coated and thick).

I'll second what Lake Dogs said!

Most KCBS contests that I've judged the ribs are sauced with varying degrees of thickness of the sauce/glaze. Best bet is keep the sauce fairly thin (more and more judges stating that they don't like thick sauce), and keep the flavor profile somewhat in the middle (not too much sweetness and definitely not too much heat!).

For MBN, a wide variety of ribs can be usually found at a contest, anywhere from dry-rub only to thick & sweet sauced.

Concerning regionality, I've judged KCBS in Arizona, Ohio, KC, and all over the southeast and have found pretty much the same flavor profile in all areas (only exception is the use of chili powder out west).

Just my $0.02.

I keep hearing this and that.

im not asking for everyones secrets but what is a common taste to shoot for?

Dry?
BBQ sauce?
i keep hearing judges like really really sweet like almost a candy coating.

but if all the judges are different how is there a standard?

The best way to find out is to judge a local comp, easy to do if it's IBCA/TX.

The best way to find out is to judge a local comp, easy to do if it's IBCA/TX.

this is a good idea. perhaps i can move into that, and here what they say.

thanks for the replies guys, this is good info to know.

If you are looking for a basic flavor style, I would suggest cooking some ribs with Plowboy's Yardbird rub, and finishing them off with Blues Hog. Or use some other proven combination.

Now this is not necessarily what you should use in competition, but it is a very successfull comp flavor. It will put you in the ballpark. From there you can tweak to your liking.

If you are looking for a basic flavor style, I would suggest cooking some ribs with Plowboy's Yardbird rub, and finishing them off with Blues Hog. Or use some other proven combination.

Now this is not necessarily what you should use in competition, but it is a very successfull comp flavor. It will put you in the ballpark. From there you can tweak to your liking.

I'd stay away from Blues Hog for competition sauce unless you mix other ingredients with it to alter the flavor, as there are many CBJs who are expressing that they are tired of the BH flavor. Just saying...

I'd stay away from Blues Hog for competition sauce unless you mix other ingredients with it to alter the flavor, as there are many CBJs who are expressing that they are tired of the BH flavor. Just saying...

I've been hearing that for years. I think it was from the same guy who told me nobody goes to that restaurant anymore because it is too crowded. :loco:

If you plan on cooking IBCA and/or LSBS, I'd steer clear of the BH. A balanced sweet, heat, and a little tangy bite seems to do well in TX. Like others have suggested, come and judge. There are plenty of competitions in your area every weekend and there are no prerequisites to judge.

I pretty much just suggested he try that combo to use as a reference point to get into the ballpark of the right amount of sweet, heat, etc.

I agree...everyone should stop using BH in competition. You can't win with it. Everyone knows the judges hate it.

You should switch to Head Country, especially if you are cooking in the south. Everyone loves Head Country down here.

I agree...everyone should stop using BH in competition. You can't win with it. Everyone knows the judges hate it.

You should switch to Head Country, especially if you are cooking in the south. Everyone loves Head Country down here.

You mean that ketchup with liquid smoke in it? At least thats what I tasted.

Andrew - Since you are here in Texas, you may want to go out to this site http://texasbbqforum.com/viewforum.php?f=60&sid=68530550c7a8a0fa110c7c630a11bc3e and see if you can tag up with some of the cookers at a local comp to help them out, in exchange for a little guidance on flavor profile.

thank you, as the folks i am helping out seem fairly new as well. but thanks for that link. i have already starting cooking up ideas as to changing my tactic on ribs.

Sauce

Head Country, you might as well recommend Famous Dave's! I grabbed a big bottle of HC on clearance for $5 once and still have nearly the full bottle if anyone is interested... :-o

I'm a CBJ in the Mid Atlantic...start sweet and end with some heat...

Lionel- you're moving to CA? Didn't see you at any comps last year. What part of CA?

I judged in contest last weekend. I do my absolute best to judge each entry on its merits, how well it was done in relationship to presentation, taste and texture. If its overcooked, its mushy, bad texture. If the bone is covered in so much sauce that I cannot taste the meat or pickup the smoke taste that hurts the score. Some ribs were so heavily coated with Blues Hog they became sugar coated bones.....

Back