• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Should I trade Propane Tank for Air Tank

B

bru401

I have a Propane tank 24" x 60" that took me forever to find @ a price that I could handle.

Well I have had lots of interest in it and I am offered a 23" x 45" and a 15" x 33" air tank as trade.

My concerns with air tanks are that they rust through. Is this true with Propane as well?

Also am a little nervous about cutting the Propane tank, but think I can make it out with at least 9 digits an one good eye.

He might be able to come up with a bigger air tank?

Thanks

Fill the propane tank with water before cutting. I'd go with the largest tank since they are tougher to find. Plus, that is the perfect size.

Go with the propane tank. Don't be worried about cutting, as sbd25 mentioned just fill with water first. After you are done building the Q then build a trailer for it.

propane will be heavier than air tank. fill with water or exhaust from a car.

Thats confirmation I like the size of the Propane Tank. The tank was made in 1987 and I think its use for holding propane is up (Time to Give it a New Life)

Go with the Propane Tank,, that's a great size,, I used to pull and replace gasaline tanks from filling stations,, we used to put a few boxes of dry Ice in them and cover the fill for about 20 minutes and then cut them open with a torch,, no problems, water will work to...

I don't think its 500 gal/ Probably could figure out the exact gallons by the area, but I haven't yet I am sure somebody knows off the top.

One thing I do know is I have pulled 80 gallons of propane out of it and am still filling friends and neighbors tanks. I am guessing there is another 20 - 30 gallons that I still need to get rid of.

I had a 500 gallon tank that I was going to turn into a pit someday, just couldn't find the time, and my welding skills and in the novice stage and will always be there. My tank had the valves removed and was able to air out for years before I bought it. A 500 gallon tank..........IS ONE BIG ARSE tank and it took a flat bed and the crane arm on the flatbed to haul it of to the new owner who bought it unseen and though it was going to be smaller and lighter than it was. Well, too bad for him, it was his now. Since it still has prop in it, be very careful. Remove the valves, let it air out for a while then proceed carefully.
I can't really compare it to an air tank, but I know that the wall of the prop tank was THICK!!!
There might still be some old pics or threads from mine somewhere in here. I'll see if I can dig emm up.

Lastly, I've always like the prop tank pit design. It's a classic look and style. I'd recommend going reverse flow on it to help smooth our the temps. A little more work, but worth IMO from what I read and researched back then.

Bob

Below are the approximate dimensions of propane tanks commonly found in the US.

150 gallon 250 gallon 500 gallon 1000 gallon
Length 85" 92" 120" 190"
Diameter 25" 30" 37" 41"
Weight 320 lbs. 485 lbs. 950 lbs. 1750 lbs

Unfortunately the table won't copy well.

Compressor tanks will rust from the inside out. They are rated to last 20 years. All air tanks should have a tag with the year they were manufactured on it. If it is close to 20 or over 20, I would skip it.

Thanks WTA, I have access to used 500 gal. tanks. and one of these days I hope to build a trailerable smoker out of one.

we have a 500gal tank, and a boat trailer rated for 2000lbs, now we're in the process of finding a bigger trailer because by the time we build a firebox, put in a plate for reverse flow, and add wood to the trailer we'll be wayyyy over 2000lbs. Decisions decisions, valves have been off of it for years, its been full of water and emptied, we're just debating how to cut it open, how many doors, how big of a firebox etc etc

According to my calculations that would be roughly 117.5 gallon tank. l would stick with that one if you are doing comps. The tank I used was 36"dia x 60" and makes a nice size for cooking for medium to large crowds. Have had 24 chickens split in half and still had plenty of room for brats and such. It will also hold 60 of those frozen hamburger patties (don't shoot me this was requested by the customer).

Last edited:
Wow, that means that the tank was almost full when I bought it. I have almost sold enough propane to pay for the tank. I bought a little trailer with a diesel generator sold the generator for what I payed for the trailer so total cost so far is around 100.00 I just might be into this for under 500.00.
I am truly obsessed with this build and can't look at anything without thinking if I could cut it down or scrap it into a smoker part.

Thanks for all the info I am sure I will need more advice

Back