Menu help please

Yakfishingfool

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
OK guys here's the deal. I am cooking for all my partners in pediatrician office where I work. the two owners are orthodox Jews and thus pork is off limits, yes they bring their own meat and grill, so it's kosher, but no pork. I have a brisket and some beef ribs, but looking for some appetizers that would meet the no pork rules. Looking for ideas. Can you help? thanks, Scott

Wow - I'd have to give that some thought... I realized when I was talking to someone today that I have taken to wrapping just about everything in bacon....

There is a kosher style swedish meatball type thing, I just had some. Don't know a recipe, but some type of beef "ball" with a bbq glaze.
Beef satay, or lamb, or chicken. How can you beat meat on a stick?
Grilled peppers or eggplant with a balsamic vinegar reduction and some fresh herbs added on the plate.
Go Mid east. Good ole Baba Ganoush, or tabouleh salad with grilled naan or pita.
Eh?
Or is lamb the cloven hoof "no no"?

I searched the site for "Jewish" and this posting came up: Bbq Brisket For A Smokin' Rosh Hashanah (
multipage.gif
1 2)

How about poppers w/o the bacon (just this once)? Maybe some smoked fish served on a cracker?

sorry, was really looking for appetizers....thinking maybe bread on the green egg, maybe chicken lolli's, would love to make abts, but what about the bacon???

I use turkey bacon on my ABTS. Cooks faster and doesnt shrink as much..

wil that work?

Well brothers, being the "worst Jew ever" as any Rabbi would tell you; except mine of course because, despite religion, he knows what tastes good. I sold him lobster tails last week and he said, "I won't tell if you won't." Here's what I do for my other Brethren:
Beef ribs, grilled flanken ribs(crosscut short ribs), smoked chicken liver pate, re-smoked whitefish. Keri C's beans w/o swine. Fresh pico de gallo w/ chips. Get a salmon and follow Raichlen's rum brined salmon recipe. Just make sure all of you're ingredients have the Kosher OU( thats a U inside an O) the word pareve really helps as well. You know, I made a rumaki for my Dad that wasn't wrapped in bacon, that was a big hit. Hope this helps, being a Jewswineophile hasn't made my life easy.

Last edited:
I grabbed my MIL's "Jennie Grossinger's The Art of Jewish Cooking" from 1958. Appetizers and Party Snacks, pages 1 - 15.

Chopped Chicken Livers, Chopped Liver, Vegetarian Chopped Liver, Dairy Liver (no meat, made with mushrooms)
Eggplant Spread
Calf's Brains Appetizer
Chopped Eggs and Onions
Chickpea "Hot Dogs" -- deep fried morsels/croquettes
Petcha -- calf's feet
Chopped Herring, Jennie's Herring Salad, Pickled Herring, Fried Herring, Herring Forshmak, Baked Herring, Baked Herring and Potatoes
Fish Sticks
Fish Balls
Egg Roll
Chinese Sweet-and-Sour Meat Balls
Pizza --no meat, but the recipe has anchovies...
Submarine Sandwich
Grilled American Cheese and Tomato Sandwich

Farther on in the book, they mention duck --- a smoked duck appetizer with crispy skin?

Knishes ---- oh, smoked cheese knishes would be tasty. They describe the dough rolled up with the filling like a jelly roll. Smoked spirals of love...

and all I can add is Latkes. I love latkes.

I'll be dreaming of these in just a few minutes.

I've been messing around with a lot of bacon wrapped appetizers lately. All, so far, have included Pork (haha). My next planned on does not. I have been thinking of ABT's, stuffed with crab meat! Joe's Crab Shack makes a crab stuffed Jap that gave me the idea. Instead of using Pork Bacon, try Turkey Bacon. Well seasoned it might work. Anyway, that's the best I can do at 445am......

I was thinking of turkey bacon....kind of like kissing your sister, but gotta do what ya gotta do. I used to eat the calves brains as a kid, never aquired the taste, fortunately. Thanks for all the great ideas. Has anyone made a BEEF fatty? Scott

sorry, was really looking for appetizers....thinking maybe bread on the green egg, maybe chicken lolli's, would love to make abts, but what about the bacon???

I have substituted left over chopped brisket in my abt's with good success instead of bacon.

Find a kosher corned beef.

Partially freeze said corned beef and slice this like bacon.
Cut japs in half, remove seeds and veins
Partially cook japs on smoker, maybe a 45 minutes.
Cools japs.
Fills japs with "ABT filling and then wrap with slices of corned beef.
(Remember to soak the corned beef really good, to removed salt)
Smoke as you would an ABT, but not as long. The corned beef is lean so it cooks faster.

Here's my thread on PBTs.

Wouldn't a beef fatty kinda be like a meatloaf? but you know why not run with it stuffed with cream cheese and japs.....use veal and beef, and if you don't have veal use pectin..trust me on this one

I was thinking of turkey bacon....kind of like kissing your sister, but gotta do what ya gotta do. I used to eat the calves brains as a kid, never aquired the taste, fortunately. Thanks for all the great ideas. Has anyone made a BEEF fatty? Scott

Wouldn't a beef fatty simply be a meatloaf? And by the way - turkey bacon is probably worse than kissing your mother-in-law's brother.

Guys, your ideas are great but you need a little bit more info. You can't mix a meat with a dairy product, no shell fish---only things with gills. I wish I could think of some appies for you Scott, stick with the chicken lolliepops, chips w/salsa.

Back