• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

smoked baked beans

polkaholic

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Gonna smoke a pork shoulder for superbowl. And was thinking of pulled pork nachos with smoked baked beans and all the regular toppings.I've never done baked beans... any recipes, time,temp..... thinking about chunks of onion and green peppers... any advise????

I keep it simple, onions, garlic, maple syrup, molasses, salt and pepper and let them cook under some bacon, or under a pork butt in the smoker.

This is gonna sound so pitiful, but incredible baked beans are ridiculously simple. When I slice up my Pork butt for sandwiches with my nifty electric slicing machine, I always end up with a bunch of little scraps and shavings. I save these up and use them to season up a pot of Bush's Baked Beans. Lacking the shavings, I sometimes chop up an extra BBQ'd rib or two (sans bone) and do the same.

To finish things off, I put the beans in a cast iron skillet and put it in the smoker for an hour or so, stirring occasionally. The large surface area of the skillet allows the beans to soak up some of that extra smoke.

I've had many raves about these easy beans.

Man that sounds good..... under the butt....can they smoke to long?.. or get to much drippings....cant believe ive never tried this before

. that recipe sounds awsome... dont have time for this weekend. . But im definitely gonna check it out. Thanks bro

they can over cook. I go two hours if the beans are already fully cooked, you can go the full cook if you use rehydrated dry beans. Start with more liquid than you might expect, maybe 2-3 inches above beans.

Cool... I think im good....definitely gonna mess around with this... always just worried about the meat...thanks guys

I made the Wampus recipe a few weeks ago and they were awesome. My only error was not getting the dried beans cooked tender enough before hand. It was my first time ever trying dried beans. I soaked them a good 24 hrs prior to cooking, so I guess in my mind, the cooking was just to warm them up and they would get tender in the smoker. Not so much. I did cook them, but only about 15 minutes. Definately need the whole hour. Or, just buy pre-cooked.
Anyway, the fatty and all of the other ingredients won over the tough beans, and we still didn't have any leftovers. Plus it was a good excuse to buy bourbon.:wink:

Another vote for Wampus' bean recipe here. My extended family has forbiden me from showing up at a party without them. Very good and not as compllicated to make as you might think.

I also am a big Wampus' bean fan. When I guests over for bbq the first thing they ask is if I am going to make those famous beans of mine. I always tell them that they are Wampus' beans. You can't lose with these.

This is my Goto Baked bean Recipe it comes from the oldest continuously operated restaurant in the US,in Boston Ma.
Either serv 'em as they are or jazz 'em up if ya want they are so good IMO they really don't need a thing. If you want 'em smoky add a Ham hock

Recipe By : Durgin-Park Restaurant, Boston, MA
--------------------------------
1 2 1/2-quart bean pot or covered casserole
1 pound beans*
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 pound salt pork
1/2 medium onion -- peeled and uncut
4 tablespoons sugar
1/3 cup molasses
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

*Use California pea beans, York State beans or small white beans.

Soak beans overnight. In the morning, preheat oven to 325° F. Place the
baking soda in a Dutch oven and fill half way with water. Bring to a boil
and add the beans. Boil for 10 minutes. Drain beans in a colander and run
cold water through them. Set aside.

Dice the salt pork (available in the bacon section of the grocery store)
into 1-inch squares. Put half of the salt pork on the bottom of the bean
pot, along with the onion. Put beans in the pot. Put the remaining salt
pork on top of the beans.

Mix the sugar, molasses, mustard, salt and pepper with 3 cups of hot water
and pour over the beans. Cover pot with lid and place the pot into the
preheated oven. Bake for 6 hours. Check pot periodically to check the
amount of liquid. Add water to the beans slowly as needed to keep them
moist; do not flood them. Remove the pot from the oven and serve. Makes
about 7 cups

Last edited:
Look up keri's hog apple baked beans. I haven't got to try them yet but they sound great! May make some this weekend myself

OR...

You COULD go a wee bit more complicated....

Wampus's Award Winning Peach Bourbon Baked Beans

I smoke mine for at least 3 hours.
I've done longer and haven't found anything bad about doing it at all.

Good luck!

My friend, I made your beans today. In fact they came off within the last hour.
You should win the Nobel peace prize. This is a easy recipe with amazing results.
Fwiw I don't like baked beans but these are something special.
Smoked for 2 1/2 hours right under some ribs catching the drippings.
Amazing!

Back