BBQ Brethren "Nuts" Throwdown!

IMG_6515_zpsfa66daf0.jpg

I think that I may have found the perfect ingredient for this TD, all I need to do is find out if they are real nuts or Faux nuts.

Hey Mongo!!! Are SPAMadamia nuts on that list you found?

a6a180b4-c380-4433-8dd8-885fe43e94fa.jpg

Tough to tell Pauli... Still too busy searching high and wide for the Mongongo nuts that I seem to have misplaced with my wedding vows. :tsk:

Just the thought...

OF NUTS, THROWN DOWN ON A HOT BBQ MAKES ME WANT TO BUCK & SHIVER..

slimbo004.jpg

Uhhhh, yeah, I saw that, but apparently my spice collection is lacking as I don't have any jars that just say "spices" -- the closest I have is "five spice powder" but I'm thinking that's probably not what he used.

What, No Allspice? :tsk:

Can you tell me more, I'm interested in smoking nuts and cheese myself, love both. Do you have charcoal lit outside of the A-MAZE-N Tube or is it just inside. What temperature is it? Was the lid just open for the pic or do you keep the lid open or cracked to control temperature? I have a kettle and a little smoker box, I wonder if I could do this with what I already have. Thanks. Looks delicious. Homemade smoked nuts without pounds of salt, yahoo!

Hey Kathy, I was away on a business trip this week and only just today got back online. I will post a reply today or tomorrow. Sorry for the delay.

Update: I actually read your post and realized I could reply immediately.

Brian

Last edited:
Can you tell me more, I'm interested in smoking nuts and cheese myself, love both. Do you have charcoal lit outside of the A-MAZE-N Tube or is it just inside. What temperature is it? Was the lid just open for the pic or do you keep the lid open or cracked to control temperature? I have a kettle and a little smoker box, I wonder if I could do this with what I already have. Thanks. Looks delicious. Homemade smoked nuts without pounds of salt, yahoo!

Kathy, I didn't use charcoal at all. I filled the 18" tube with the Oak pellets, lit it, put it in the Performer and closed the lid. The ambient temperature in the garage was around 45f and the pit temperature was unknown - the Weber thermometer didn't budge.

I had no clue what I was doing so I decided to experiment. The cheeses I used were aged sharp cheddar, mild cheddar and provolone. I smoked the cheeses and almonds in three time incriminates - 1 hour, 2.5 hours and 3 hours. As I pulled them off I vacuum sealed them and let them sit in the refrigerator for a week.

The one hour batch was sampled today and the best cheese was the sharp cheddar. The almonds had a distinct smokey taste/smell to them. I sprayed them with a bit of Pam Olive Oil and the sprinklied a bit of salt on them - they tasted pretty good. Will sample of the 2.5 hour batch tomorrow - with a wee dram of scotch.

I thought there would be a few more entries by now. Just to have a few names, I'll throw mine in for the obligatory zero. I did a bit of an experiment with pulled pork. I was going for a lot of bark and the results were good overall, but not quite what I was going for.

IMG_7174.jpg

and pulled:

IMG_7175.jpg

Yeah, I know, "but where's the nuts?"

Actually the nuts were smoked cashews:

IMG_7178.jpg

These were ground, mixed with a healthy dose of this:

IMG_7179.jpg

and blended with salt, sugar, and water to form a spicy-cashew nut sauce:

IMG_7181.jpg

That's about it here. Move along....

Back