Noah's Jambalaya....Woo Doggies!

Fastball

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I wanted to try out some of my new CL cast iron, and could think of nothing better than Noah's Jambalaya. Man was I right.

I started preparing it this morning and planned to have it for lunch. I forgot just how long it takes to make a roux, so didn't get to eat until 1:45, but man was it worth it. I used some smoked turkey and Mountain View Andouille for meat, other than that, it is Noah's exact recipe.

Noah....if no one has told you recently.....you are one hell of a guy.

Here is the finished product.

jambalaya.jpg

That looks awesome, I love some Jumbalaya. That Andouille Sausage is nice and spicy.

That looks good I guarantee! (As Justin Wilson would say) :-D

can you point me to the recipe? I would love to try and make this one time. I LOVE jumbalya but have never made it before.

That pot looks great! I'm glad you like the recipe, and now that you have made it you can tweak it to make it your own. Also, congrats on the dutch oven. I love those things!

That pot looks great! I'm glad you like the recipe, and now that you have made it you can tweak it to make it your own. Also, congrats on the dutch oven. I love those things!

yep, loved the recipe, and I'll be tweaking it a little (I actually threw in a bit of cayenne), but really don't know how a guy could improve it to be honest, guess just play around with it a bit.

That was the 8qt lodge camp. Got a 12qt with it as well from CL.

BTW, if any of you use Noah's recipe, make sure you use an 8qt pot, I actually made the roux and cooked the vegs in a 5qt dutch oven, and it didn't take me long to figure out I was going to have to upgrade.

Looks great.

Just a side note, after I get my roux started I usually throw it in the oven. Going that route saves a whole bunch of baby-sitting. 1-2 hours in a 350 degree oven and you have some great red brick roux on your hands.

Looks great.

Just a side note, after I get my roux started I usually throw it in the oven. Going that route saves a whole bunch of baby-sitting. 1-2 hours in a 350 degree oven and you have some great red brick roux on your hands.

Cheater:!: I bet your saving up for a pellet pooper too:biggrin:

I love Jambalaya and that pot looks great.

This is another one that will be added to the things to cook list.

Cheater:!: I bet your saving up for a pellet pooper too:biggrin:

Nah, I'm too cheap for that. ;)

Electric Q just doesn't taste the same, but the roux doesn't know if it came from the oven or stovetop. :biggrin:

I was watching Alton Brown do a show on Jambalya and he used the oven too. He said the roux doesn't know the difference and the oven provides nice even heat without the constant babysitting.

I was watching Alton Brown do a show on Jambalya and he used the oven too. He said the roux doesn't know the difference and the oven provides nice even heat without the constant babysitting.

That's where I learned it. :)

Back