Left the chili out... still good?

Foxfire

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon I made a batch of smoked beef chili out on the Weber. Don't have a good covered CI dutch oven so decided to bring it in and let it finish in the crock pot. About 9PM I turned off the pot and took off the lid to let it cool and thicken a bit before putting away but completely forgot to fridge it before bed. :doh: Found it this morning after about 10 hours sitting on the counter cold and uncovered. Not figuring it's reliably safe, or at least on it's way to early spoiling. Any thoughts?

I know some will say throw it out, it'll kill ya! Personally, I've eaten food that's been left out all night, and had no issues. Turn that crock-pot on, reheat it, and enjoy that chili.

Matt
Let the bashing begin :boxing:

Those of us who died after doing this, speak up. Otherwise we will only hear from the overly cautious or unconcerned.

Count me among the overly cautious. Not worth the risk.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmm, well I don't consider myself overly cautious, but 10 hours......in a crock pot, it was probably at "critical or dangerous" temp zone for quite a while, I don't think it is worth the risk IMO.

I'd eat it. Hell, you're gonna end up on the chitter either way. :razz: :bolt:

It might be ok, but I definitely wouldn't serve it to anybody until I ate some myslef and saw what happened. Personally I'd fling it - the risk to reward ratio isn't favorable IMO - it's a pot of chili, which isn't exactly a rare commodity.

Thanks all. Decided to let it go. If I were the only one I might warm it up and give it a try but with kids around don't wanna even go there. This was my first run at chili (at least for years and years) so we'll treat this as a learning experience :)

Let me tell you something about a chili we recently made.

Lets say its friday night, ate the chili, and like you forgot it on the stove. Next morning put it in the fridge, and ate it saturday night. Woke up sunday morning to find the chili, again on the stove, warmed it back up and ate it for the Chiefs game.

We were fine.

We did however have stew meat instead of ground beef.

Chili's origin was to cover up rancid meat. On the old western trails the cooks had to cover up the taste of rancid meat so they threw it in a pot with LOTS of spices!
Technically if you heat it thoroughly past 165 degrees, it should kill all the bacteria. Go reheat and enjoy!

Chili's origin was to cover up rancid meat. On the old western trails the cooks had to cover up the taste of rancid meat so they threw it in a pot with LOTS of spices!
Technically if you heat it thoroughly past 165 degrees, it should kill all the bacteria. Go reheat and enjoy!

The bacteria isnt what should worry you. Its the toxins produced by the bacteria that are very heat stabile. Heating to 165 will kill all bacteria for sure but you risk the toxins.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

The bacteria isnt what should worry you. Its the toxins produced by the bacteria that are very heat stabile. Heating to 165 will kill all bacteria for sure but you risk the toxins.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2
This post makes me feel good! The idea that reheating will make anything safe is a terribly uninformed myth. In fact reheating isn't going to anything to one of the most common causes of food borne illness.

It doesn't feel good throwing out $20 worth of food but it feels much better than 3 days in the bathroom.

Back