• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Looking for a Sweet Rib Rub

Make your own.

4 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup black pepper
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup mustard powder
1/4 cup granulated garlic

I use this on the ribs at the restaurant. They have a slight sweet taste with a nice spicy end.

Plowboy's yardbird is more salty than it is sweet.

A good option for sweet rub is Simply Marvelous Cherry Rub and then add in a secondary layer of Simply Marvelous Sweet Seduction. This is my go to rub combination on ribs. I did a rack of full spares last night (no foil or sauce) and they loved it. It has a very natural sweetness that isn't overly sweet.

If you like your ribs sweeter you can do a foil step, where you put in butter, brown sugar, honey/agave nectar. Add in hotsauce if you want to give it a sweet heat, add more rub in to give it a little bit more salt/base flavor. Be careful with how much brown sugar/honey/agave nectar you use, the ribs might turn out with a very candied meat flavor where you lose the taste of pork.

I agree with Plowboys being saltier than sweet. I also agree on Sweet Seduction, never tried Cherry (yet).

another option to try, is take whatever rub you like and mix turbinado sugar in the raw in your rub. it gives you that sweetness and the sugar in the raw does not burn like brown sugar.

2nd for making your own, or using whatever rub you like, and add either brown or turbinado sugar; or honey.

Are you sure they were just dry rubbed? A lot of the sweetness I see comes from the honey, brown sugar and juice they are soaked in during the foiling. They don't look like they've been mopped with sauce, but they have a particular candied glaze to them when done that way.

That said... like was previously said, I'd just take something you already like and mix it 50/50 with brown sugar and rub that on to start with.

It's been a long time since I've been to a BBQ restaurant (leave me alone - I live in Southern California), but I'd be shocked if many 'q joints actually foil their ribs.

It's been a long time since I've been to a BBQ restaurant (leave me alone - I live in Southern California), but I'd be shocked if many 'q joints actually foil their ribs.

And many backyard chefs do. And many competitors who win regularly do. And many restaurants probably do. The op asked about making sweet ribs, not the merits of foiling.

I think you misunderstood my point there NT, I'm not arguing for or against foiling - even though I foil mine.

OP was at a restaurant that had sweet ribs, and because of the time and effort involved with foiling I'd be surprised if the restaurant foiled theirs. I think it's much more likely the sweet flavor came from sugar in the rub; or sprinkled sugar/slathered some honey over them towards the end of the cook.

I think you misunderstood my point there NT, I'm not arguing for or against foiling - even though I foil mine.

OP was at a restaurant that had sweet ribs, and because of the time and effort involved with foiling I'd be surprised if the restaurant foiled theirs. I think it's much more likely the sweet flavor came from sugar in the rub; or sprinkled sugar/slathered some honey over them towards the end of the cook.

Ahhhh. You are correct. I did misread that. Good point. I'd vote that they would have been coated in honey and brown sugar bone down just on top of the meat and then maybe mopped after it melted a bit. I've just never gotten what I would call a real real sweet off of just a rub.

Thanks for the correction.

Back