• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

two stage brisket cook

Don Jeansonne

Reaction score
Due to time constraints I would like to cook a brisket over two days. Can you partially smoke/cook a brisket (maybe 2 -3 hrs) take it off and cool. Then start or finish the cook the next day?
Is this not a good idea?
If it can be done, what is a good process?
Any tips or cautions would be appreciated.

Just do it overnight and be tired :wink:

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

You could also smoke it for a few hours then finish it in the oven if that suits your schedule better....

What time is serving time and what are your time constraints leading up to serving time?

2 step brisket

I need to be "done" by 4pm but I didn't want to start and have it on the pit by 6am.
I guess I am getting lazy!!!!

I haven't done the "hot & fast" and don't feel comfortable getting the 300F+ on my vertical water smoker.

From all that I see and past experience, it seems I just need to get up early.

Thanks

H&F is the way to go ...I started a 15 lb packer this morning at 6 ...its been in the cooler since 1:30

You could always fully cook the night before, an insulated water cooker should let you sleep fine, and reheat in smaller servings, a food saver is great for this

Partially cooking, then refrigerating doesn't gain you anything. You will still be starting out with a cold piece of meat the following day.

Just put a 15lbs packer on the xl bge at 1230 am. Hopefully be done by 1000am and resting before heading to church.

Back