ooodddd question

Dyce51

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Vegetarian BBQ????? I was approached about catering a Vegetarian BBQ. Full vegetarian menu........I need some ideas and tips...

well I found a few "veggie burger" recipes but they say they are not grill friendly, they fall apart on a grill, need to have a flat grill to cook.....maybe get a piece of stainless steel sheet to cover part of my grill to cook them......

I would think for a Vegetarian BBQ, and I honestly don't know why anyone would request a vagetarian BBQ from a BBQ caterer, I would not try and copy meat BBQ. Veggie burgers are rarely any good on open flame (and yes, I have tried all of the commercial brands and about a dozen home made ones). They need the oil from a griddle to sear.

I would look at grilling vegetables, doing hot casserole type dishes that layer veggies and sauce, things like that, which can be cooked on a smoker or grill and will take on some smoke flavor. I did try some vegetarian ribs once, that were quite good, but, were all about the sauce. BBQ sauce is generally vegetarian, so there is that. Hehe, pulled spaghetti squash sandwiches...there is an idea.

I have eaten these, they are horrible compared to ribs. But, there you are...recipe

They are edible, with Blues Hog on them

Oh, I didn't know that, then no, oh well, I lied about that, nobody complained.

Switch to Kraft, any old BBQ sauce will do. Although Blues Hog tastes better.

BTW, vegetarian chili can be quite good, use ground up cooked field roast sausage for texture instead of meat.

I prefer just loads of grilled vegetables and good bread, some nice mayo and mustards

I have not said yes or no to taking the job......but I was thinking of BBQ Baked Beans, Grilled veggies (eggplant, zucchini, asparagus, seasoned corn on the cob, etc) Thought for a "burger" doing a grilled Stuffed Portabella Mushroom Burger (these I have eaten and they are quite good) really have to rethink my cook times and grill space.......since the smoker is pretty much out of the equation...........and not to mention the pricing...gotta go to West Side Market (in Cleveland) and see what the prices are like....

I have a few vegan friends.... A grilled portabella mushroom on a chibatta roll makes a great sandwich. A grilled vegetable medley onions, peppers, zucchini, with cherry tomatoes makes a nice hot side. Of course you have the cold salads, coleslaw, macaroni, and potato salad.

I have given Portabella Mushrooms a light coating of Garlic Infused EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil) dusted them with a Santa Maria style spice mixture and then smoked them with the stem removed. I stuff the mushrooms with Frieda's Soyrizo and they are smoked goodness.I am a carnivore and love to eat them----they are simple----smoke quickly----and never any complaints, but many compliments.

NOTE: strict Vegans will not eat mushrooms because they are fungi
How do you tell if one is a Vegan?---Don't worry--they will tell you.

I respect folks that have chosen a Vegetarian diet for health reasons. I try to respect folks that are Vegetarians because killing animals is horrid, but usually when I see their leather belt, leather purse, leather wallet, and leather seats in their car ----I lose all respect.

Back