New member, first post and introduction

StickyD

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Hi, everyone, this is my first post, just wanted to say hello and that I'm genuinely excited to have joined what looks to be one great forum. I'm a chef from Washington state and my wife comes from Kentucky, we own a burger joint in Prague, Czech Republic, but we also do a smoked pulled pork sandwich and one smoked beef burger.

In 2009, before we opened our joint and since my background in BBQ was pretty much one big “crockpot crutch,” we drove the Southern Foodways Alliance trail starting in KY to learn as much as we could about regional BBQ, ending our trip at David Klose's factory. Aside from a diversion in tamales and Cajun, for four weeks we were tasting/trying BBQ for nearly every meal. In Austin we finally decided we'd had enough “learnin',” and I ended up eating so much pizza I got sick. I gained 15 pounds and we did not even make it to Salt Lick. (Which, however, is a great excuse to return to Texas!)

Ironically, there's not much of a “low and slow” smoking culture in the Czech Republic, and the smokers for sale here reflect that. My option was either a Bradley or one of those cheapy charcoal water smokers you get at Walmart for $59.99. The answer was obvious--we bought two of the cheapy water smokers and combined them to make a three-rack version for our bar (in the pic). Which brings me to joining BBQ Brethren: we'd like to do more smoking and BBQ catering.
cheapy-smoker.jpg

We looked into a Backwoods Competitor, but they retail for $6000 in Germany, so unless a rich relative leaves us way too much dough, we're going to have to build something! (And then I'm going to have to learn how to cook more than a pork butt.)

Anyway, sorry for talking your ears off, just looking forward to being a part of the community and I hope I can eventually contribute as much as I will be asking!

Welcome....are you familiar with the ugly drum smoker? There's a search bar at the bottom. You can make your own smoker for maybe $150 or less...and they cook a LOT of food. I made 4 of them and can now cook for a small army....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Click this.... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436

My heavens, that's a helluva UDS thread, thanks! I have been strongly considering the Big Poppa kits as well as making my own. I guess my only issue with the design is getting to the heat source by having to remove the top and the food basket. But maybe with a little more research I can find some designs that will work, especially considering how cheap they can be!

My heavens, that's a helluva UDS thread, thanks! I have been strongly considering the Big Poppa kits as well as making my own. I guess my only issue with the design is getting to the heat source by having to remove the top and the food basket. But maybe with a little more research I can find some designs that will work, especially considering how cheap they can be!

Trust me...if you build it like the ones in that thread you won't have to touch the fuel source. I can get mine to cook for like 16+ hours at lower temp. Feel free to message me and I can give you more detail....

Welcome to the Brethren. Great intro, BTW. Prague is one of the places my wife and I really want to visit. She is a 3rd generation Czech.

Welcome! I love Prague. I was lucking enough to stop there for a few days when I was backpacking after college for a month. Beautiful city.

What an intro! Welcome. I look forward to seeing your progression as you pick up more BBQ knowledge. This is a great place, with great people...I'm still fairly new and soaking up new info every day.

Welcome. The Search function at the bottom of the page is a great way to find old threads about random questions you may have.

Welcome!

If you took two cheap water smokers and made them into a big smoker, the UDS is not outside of your reach.

Read the thread. It's long, but it will answer every question you have about making one.

Best wishes for you and your wife and your business!

Back