Whole Salt Crusted-Chicken With a V8

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Twisted the Beer can Chicken and substituted with a V8 Juice.

Rinsed chicken well, about a 5 pound bird.

Picture183.jpg

Started off with a salt bath, both inside and out.

Picture160-3.jpg

Wrapped in plastic and back into the fridge. Yep, leaked out of the plastic a bit, next time I will place wrapped Bird into a large tupperware. :doh:

Picture165-1.jpg

After 2 hours, out of fridge, rinsed well and topped with YardBird. Stuffed neck cavity with diced onions and a couple slabs of butter. Dropped a few chunks of Garlic into the V8.

Picture190.jpg

Placed on the Egg for about 2 hours.

Picture220.jpg

Resting just a bit. Seems that with the YardBird I get a fairly blackened crust.

Picture236.jpg

Sliced for a few tastes, already had dinner so will put away for leftovers. :hungry:

Picture238.jpg

Tasted good, skin was a little salty but not terrible, meat had a great texture and taste, very moist.

Looks good from here! Good thing you had a V8 or your bird wouldn't have sat up straight!

I normally do that with chicken and chops and loins.....chicken look great...

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1221987 said:
Twisted the Beer can Chicken and substituted with a V8 Juice.

Rinsed chicken well, about a 5 pound bird.

Picture183.jpg

Started off with a salt bath, both inside and out.

Picture160-3.jpg

Wrapped in plastic and back into the fridge. Yep, leaked out of the plastic a bit, next time I will place wrapped Bird into a large tupperware. :doh:

Picture165-1.jpg

After 2 hours, out of fridge, rinsed well and topped with YardBird. Stuffed neck cavity with diced onions and a couple slabs of butter. Dropped a few chunks of Garlic into the V8.

Picture190.jpg

Placed on the Egg for about 2 hours.

Picture220.jpg

Resting just a bit. Seems that with the YardBird I get a fairly blackened crust.

Picture236.jpg

Sliced for a few tastes, already had dinner so will put away for leftovers. :hungry:

Picture238.jpg

Tasted good, skin was a little salty but not terrible, meat had a great texture and taste, very moist.

Looks great... I'll bet it was salty. Now, I like a lot of salt. Been using this 11 herbs & spices mix I got from the theingriedientstore.com. It's pretty darn good, but the wife says it's too salty.

Wow! I coulda had a V8 (chicken)! :-D

What temp did you cook at, Terry? I haven't had any issues with dark skin with Yardbird.

Good looking bird there. I like heavily salting chicken for a couple hours before cooking.

I used that salting technique for the turkey on Thanksgiving.. I think leanza or landarc was the one who shared it.. It worked well.

Terry - What temp were you cooking at ? I've not used Yardbird but I'm guessing the combo of sugar and high heat is what did it.

Looks good to me!
I use Yardbird on all my chicken these days and find it just salty enough for my taste, wouldn't want to add more salt.

Thanks everybody! :grouphug:

Wow! I coulda had a V8 (chicken)! :-D

What temp did you cook at, Terry? I haven't had any issues with dark skin with Yardbird.

Cooked around 300º

Looks good to me!
I use Yardbird on all my chicken these days and find it just salty enough for my taste, wouldn't want to add more salt.

I think your right, only used the YB a couple times and it does have a salt kick but I am a salt junky. The skin was pretty salty but the meat wasn't.

Back