Rained on a half full basket

el_matt

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I left my half full (of burned once) charcoal basket outside, and it rained last night!! No idea it was supposed to rain, it's summer in California after all. What are the odds that the coals are usable? They don't look bad, they just got the ash rinsed off of them. Am I answering my own question, as I ask it?

I ask because it's my big basket, and it's about half full. I'd hate to lose that many briquettes. I'd rather toss a few lit ones in there as a test, than just throw them away!

Matt

Lump recovers nicely when dried in the sun. Briquettes take longer and sometimes break down if they were wet enough to release the binders. If you want to try to save them, spread them out in the sun immediately and turn them a few times. Wet briqs like to grow mold if you don't dry them quickly.

The storm was around 3AM, and they sat in the basket until I posted my question. Whatcha think?

Matt

I remember when I was a kid in Illinois, my dad would put out the bbq with a bucket of water and put the lid on. We used the same coals the next week.... they dried out in the bbq sitting outside.

Dry 'em and try 'em, whatcha got to lose?

Just use them to grill (high heat), some burgers or dogs.

Back