Price of Brisket?

TurkeyLeg

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I never bought a whole packer before, and was wondering what is a good price? I've been looking at BJ's and grocery stores but can only find flats. So I was gonna try some butcher shops and was wondering what to pay.
Thanks in advance.

You tried going to a Wal-Mart or a Kroger/Ralph's? They should have them there. Butchers will generally give you a better brisket in general, but they'll be more expensive than you'd find at a grocery store for sure, and since it's your first one I'd try to find one as cheap as possible before getting one going for 4.99 a pound.

Gotta agree with jazzybadger...

Our local butcher uses only angus beef, and wants $5/lb with the smallest cut he has being 13lbs. That's $65. I need to get my Sam's Club membership going again, they tend to have some pretty good cuts at a pretty good price. Kroger would've been good at $2.70/lb, but they only had one cut available, and it didn't look too appetizing. The one I'm cooking now (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141240) I got at Wal-mart, and seems to be pretty good. I got it for $2.58/lb. If it tastes as good as it looks, I may have to take some of my remarks about their meat back.

Definitely try to find a cheaper cut for the first one. Every "first cook" I've done has produced at least a few mistakes.

Local butcher 2.75 lb, been ipb lateley, choice not ungraded like wallyworld, still 50 bucks for a 17 lber.
flats cost more, at bj's and sams in my area.

Nothing wrong with any Walmart brisket I've ever bought. Usually $2.58 per lb.

Nothing wrong with any Walmart brisket I've ever bought. Usually $2.58 per lb.

Yep, Walmart carries the exact same packer briskets you'll find in any other store, and most butchers. Down here, they are averaging half and half choice and select (excel brand) in the display case. Always $2.18/lb, been the same price for well over a year whether it's select, choice, or CAB choice that happens to be on display. They rarely have ungraded in my local, almost always the split between choice and select. Just gotta turn 'em over and look for the stamp on the cryo.

Welcome to the mid-atlantic region where you can't find packers anywhere except for some independent butchers and restaurant depot (thank goodness for RD). I guess that would be a bit of a hike for you, but you could go to the RD in Philly...

Where I live, full packer brisket runs any where from $1.98 to $3.49 per pound. Just the flat is much higher; usually $3.99 to $4.99 per pound.

We have one local butcher who'll sell a packer for $2/lb. Otherwise, Walmart at $2.58/lb.

The Sam's club nearest me has been pretty consistant all summer at $2.48/lb for a whole packer.

Rest depot in philly sells superior angus briskest for $2.89/lb. the regular brisket is about $2.59.

We pay about $2.79/lb for a Choice brisket At Sams Club out here. For our location, I really think that's a decent price.

IMO opinion, one of the benefits of shopping at the Big Box stores is the ability to pick and choose between many different packers.

I have used briskets from "Sam's Club" without problems, but this year I have been getting my briskets from the base commissary for $3.25 a pound.

I don't know if it is my imagination, but the the meat seems to have more density, and seems to have a better end product.

As long as my family likes it, I guess that is all that really matters...

Back