Buckboard "butt" Bacon question?

Stucue74 said:
DFLittle said:
isnt a ham the same shoulder as a butt?

Ham is from the pigs butt - i.e. hind leg.

Boston butt/shoulder is just that -- front leg/shoulder. The butt from the Boston butt comes from the cut being at the base (or butt) of the leg - which in this case is the shoulder.

Now, are we completely confused?? :D

Okay, here's a question for someone with a Pork Chart handy. Albertson's is promoting Pork shoulders (boneless, 3.5-6 lbs.)buy one get one free this week. Is this the Pork Butt part of the shoulder or the Picnic roast? How do you tell? I'd like to stock up but don't want the picnic. :?

Anyone? Anyone? I need some butt. Need to go to the store. Please help me for the love of butt...

Don't know man. I would say give it a whirl. Grab a couple, cook em up and if ya like em go back and grab more.

Stucue74 said:
Okay, here's a question for someone with a Pork Chart handy. Albertson's is promoting Pork shoulders (boneless, 3.5-6 lbs.)buy one get one free this week. Is this the Pork Butt part of the shoulder or the Picnic roast? How do you tell? I'd like to stock up but don't want the picnic. :?

It's gotta be one or the other, since a whole shoulder would weigh a lot more. Kinda hard to tell just by looking at it in the wrapper. Either one would make good que, but I'd just ask the guy at the store.
Costco has been selling whole boneless shoulders lately, and they have been running about 12 to 15 pounds. I've been cutting them in half and smoking em on two different grates. Damn good que too.

Probably the shoulder. Butt is usually marketed as Boston Butt and the shoulder as shoulder or picnic "ham".

When I think of shoulder, I think of both the Boston Butt and the Picnic combined, which is why a whole shoulder weighs about 12 to 15 pounds. A picnic and a boston butt would weigh a lot less.
This is from a FAQ I just did a google search on:

What's the difference between a pork shoulder and a picnic shoulder?
A pork shoulder is the shoulder and front leg of the pig. The picnic shoulder is a portion of that cut. The picnic shoulder (or picnic shank)and Boston Butt (often called the blade roast or button roast) together make the shoulder (often called a "full" or "barbecue" shoulder). Different areas of the country have different names for these roasts, and there is little standardization in that area. If you are in doubt as to the exact cut of meat you are getting, ask you butcher and tell him/her what exactly you're looking for.

A full shoulder weighs in around 12 - 16 pounds, but can go as high as 25. The picnic portion of the shoulder is the portion starting just above the knuckle joint and extending upwards to where the shank bone joins the body of the pig. The Boston Butt portion is the actual shoulder of the pig, the meat mass surrounding the shoulder joint. A full shoulder will contain the arm bone, shank bone, and a portion of the blade bone. The picnic shoulder will contain the arm and shank bone; the Boston Butt will contain only the blade bone.

Thanks for the help. Feel like I've been to butcher school 8)

Sorry I didn't post any pics. The meat looks like a pork roast only darker, would not make a very interesting pic as we have all seen pork roast before.

I am on day 6 now and will do pics after I smoke and slice them.
someone told me to only cure for 8 days or they get too salty, so I may try one at 8 days and see how it turns out.

Well here it is! The finished product. I cured for 10 days, on day 9 I put pure maple syrup on half the pork and pure honey on the other half then put them back in the fridge.
Day 10: took meat out and soaked in a bowl of water for 2 hours, changing water once. This is to get rid of any left over cure and cut back on the salty flavor. After soaking I dryed them off and let them air dry for another hour.
Put into a cool smoker, about 100deg., for 45 min. then add wet wood to make more smoke, and crank the heat up to 200-225. Cook until meat reaches 140 and then take out of smoker.
The instructions claim that you can put meat in smoker for about 45 min. to get smoke flavor and then finish cooking in the oven, but why would you want to?

I let the cooked meat sit in the fridg over night before slicing it ond frying up a couple slices. Tasted very good just like bacon, only I couldn't tell the difference between the honey and the maple bacon. Next time I will put the maple and honey on just a few hours before I put in smoker.
Although my wife says she could taste the maple.
here are some pics of the finished product sliced and frying in a pan.

I am convinced, at least enough to try :lol:
Everthing I read says it tastes somewhere between bacon and ham.
Mostly compared to Canadian Bacon.
I love all three, so can't loose :lol:

6.5# Butt into cure today--the 12th is "smoke-it-up and eat it" day.
Gonna be a long 10 days :cry:

I have $11.63 invested to include meat, cure, charcoal, and a 2 gal ZipLock bag. Will see how it prices out per # at the end :wink:

Oh Yeah--"Ordering Cure 101".
Cure from Hi Mountain costs $3.50 for each box. Each box cures 25# of Butt and has three individual packs to make it perfect for one butt/pack. Shipping was $4.95. I "bumped" the quantity up and shipping stayed at $4.95 till I reached three boxes. So, I got enough cure for 75# of Butt for $15.45--Total.
Cheap cost per butt :lol:
Just like ordering chopsticks :lol: :lol: :lol:

TIM

Coppied this (first time I have ever coppied and pasted! Woo Hoo!!!) from the BBQ Board web site. Been meaning to try it for over a year but keep forgetting. Need to get started on a Wednesday if your going to cook it on Satruday.

Buck Board Bacon....by Jim Morgan

As I write this, I am curing my first buckboard bacon, a homemade bacon made not from the pork belly, but from the pork shoulder. I haven't tried it yet, but from reading many other's opinions, it is divine.

A little history first, then the process of makin' bacon!

We travel back in time to the old west, where pioneers used every part of the pig except the squeal. One of the most important parts of the pig was lard, used for cooking and making soap. This came mainly from the pork belly, which of course is where bacon comes from today.
Ever notice how much fat is in each strip of bacon that you buy at the store? Now you get the picture. That valuable pork fat (which rules, as Emeril says), was necessary for survival. However, curing a pork shoulder, then smoking it to 140 degrees, could deliver a lean, tasty bacon! And the pioneers needed hearty breakfasts, with big, thick slices of bacon. Some of my internet friends who made this swore by it, saying I'd never go back to store-bought bacon again. So I ordered some cure from www.himtnjerky.com. The directions were fairly simple except they called for a ten day curing process! Basically, you rubbed a butt with the cure, put it in a plastic bag for 10 days, and waited. And waited. I had never anticipated a breakfast so much!

Here's the directions, using the Hi Mountain cure, followed by a homemade cure with directions...

Debone a Boston Butt, or use a boneless butt, weighing about 5 pounds. Slice in half lengthwise so that each
piece is about 3 to 3 and half inches thick. This allows the rub to cure the meat properly. Rub the cure in thoroughly, and don't forget the sides.

Put the butts in plastic ziplock bags and put in the refrigerator for 10 days. Turn every few days.

Now we're ready to smoke. Rinse well and pat dry. If it's not dry, the color won't be as appealing. Let the meat stand at room temp for an hour while preparing the smoker. Heat smoker to 150 degrees for 45 minutes without smoke. Increase the temp to 200 and add the smoke woods ( your choice here..apple sounds good).
Smoke until the temp hits 140 degrees. Let the bacon cool.

It's easier to slice thin if you refirgerate it. And as Hi Mountain says, you now the leanest and most flavorful bacon you ever ate! It will cook twice as fast as regular bacon without all the fat, so keep and eye on it while you fry it up.

Now heres a homemade cure, although I've never tried it.

1/2 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of tender quick

The recipe for this one called for a 7 day curing period, then rinsing and drying, and brushing with maple syrup, honey or molasses.

Smoke at 200 degrees until the meat hits 140.

It is now the day after I smoked the bacon. I removed the two butt halves, rinsed well, and soaked in water for just over an hour. I then smoked at 200 degrees on
my WSM using Kingsford Charcoal, apple chunks and cherry chips. After a matter of hours the temp got to 140 degrees so I shut down the smoker and let the meat cool down for an hour. I then brought the meat inside, let it cool for another couple of hours and bagged them and put them in the fridge. Normally I wouldn't let them sit out so long but I fell asleep on the couch!

The next morning I pulled the meat out and began to slice. The refigerated meat cuts a lot easier than the warm meat, so I was able to make fairly thin slices with my Henckel knife.

The result was a lot of strips and some left over chunks and pieces.

I fried up two lean pieces. They tasted like a bacon flavored ham. The crisp texture of thin storebought bacon was not there. It was more like the texture of ham. I plan on frying up some of the fattier pieces and seeing how that tastes.

I would call the taste something of a mix between country ham, city ham, and bacon. It's pretty dang good. However, if I told folks I was serving them bacon they would probably call this ham. Still, all reviews have been very positive. I took biscuits with buckboard bacon to work on Monday and everyone loved them. Also gave the neighbors some for them to try.

The cost of making this is slightly over a dollar a pound, depending on what you paid for the boston butts.
The cure is really cheap. Bacon can go for three dollars a pound to over six dollars a pound in the stores. Same with ham. I consider this a really
cost effective, fun way to come up with a smokey breakfast meat. Tastes great, and is cheap to make!

I will be buying a butt and some tender quick today to celebrate my first ever copy and pasting!

Neil,
I read that whilst researching Buckboard Bacon.
Pretty interesting and consistant with the other stuff posted around.
I question his pricing--I paid about $1.20/# for the butt. He may have found his for 60 cents/# or something. Or he is ignoring fuel cost, bags (if used), etc. Even smoking to only 140, I expect some real shrinkage.
I am expecting somewhere in the mid to upper $2 range/# when I weigh it out after smoking. I figure it will be about double the meat cost. Just my guess.

At the cost of Hi Mountain--really cheap at $1.74 per butt--I decided to rely on their proven product before I experimented. Just me :oops:

Let us know how it comes out.

Most of his input is a cut and paste from the Hi Mountain site.
Nice job on your first "cut and paste". Congratulations. We have some experienced experts around if you ever need help :lol: :lol: :lol:

TIM

My attempt at canadian bacon ising TQ and brown sugar tasted very good, but i screwed up in the smoking process and cooked it too long, so it was dry. A fattier cut. like a butt, would probably have been mor forgiving.

The info the Neil cut and paste (nice job!) talks about cutting the butt into pieces. I wonder if using pre-cut boneless country-style ribs (usually cut from a butt) would work?

Just deboned my butts, sliced in half, applied the cure, rolled them back up. They are now in the fridge curing. My question is, they are about 2 inches thick. I think I will cut the curing time back to 7 days since they say 10 days for 3 to 3.5 inches.

Back