Judges score questions...

Wager

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a quick question about the scores I got in Ribs at a comp this past weekend. It was my first real KCBS (or any for that matter) sactioned event and the rib scores I got seemed kind of strange. Below are what I got...

Judge 1 - 988
Judge 2 - 998
Judge 3 - 998
Judge 4 - 988
Judge 5 - 999
Judge 6 - 777

I'm curious if you guys see big discrepencies in the scoring from a single judge very often or if this is an anomoly that doesn't happen that much. Since this was my first comp other than a couple of backyard type of events I've done I'm not really sure how the scoring works. Do they drop the lowest scores or did that count as part of the total?

I'm certainly not complaining since I got a 5th place but would like to try and understand a little better how the scoring works??

I have a quick question about the scores I got in Ribs at a comp this past weekend. It was my first real KCBS (or any for that matter) sactioned event and the rib scores I got seemed kind of strange. Below are what I got...

Judge 1 - 988
Judge 2 - 998
Judge 3 - 998
Judge 4 - 988
Judge 5 - 999
Judge 6 - 777

I'm curious if you guys see big discrepencies in the scoring from a single judge very often or if this is an anomoly that doesn't happen that much. Since this was my first comp other than a couple of backyard type of events I've done I'm not really sure how the scoring works. Do they drop the lowest scores or did that count as part of the total?

I'm certainly not complaining since I got a 5th place but would like to try and understand a little better how the scoring works??

It's hard to understand why judge 6 gave you all 7's but it happens. As a computer operator entering scores I would have noticed the jump and might have questioned the judge to make sure he/she understood our proceedures or showed them all of the other scores to allow them to see the difference in scores. Sometimes it helps them understand our procedures better...BUT...they could have had a good reason. (Eg: end piece, dry, flavor profile, etc.) All judges taste differently.

The other comment I'd like to make as a CBJ instructor is if you notice on Taste and Tenderness, all of the scores marry each other. There's no huge drop between the scores, 8's, 9's and a 7. It's only the appearance where there is a two point difference. But fortunately for you the low score IS dropped out. Good scores!! Congrats.

Hope this helps

Bunny

A 2 point swing in taste and tenderness is not uncommon here is GA. The 7 for appearance when everyone else saw a 9 is unfortunate and if I were the table captain would have told the judge how he scored compared to the others.

so they do drop the low scores, that's great! Thanks Bunny!

Uncle, I can understand the swings in the scoring for each category but thought it was just kind of strange that judge gave 7's across the board more than anything.

Low scores like that one can come back to haunt you in a tie breaker though!

7) The low score will be thrown out. Results will be tallied.
If there is a tie in one of the categories, it will be broken​
by the computer, as follows: The scores will be compared​
(counting all five judges) for the highest cumulative
scores in taste, then tenderness, then appearance. If still
tied, then the low score, which was thrown out, will be
compared and the higher of the low scores will break the
tie. If still tied, then a computer generated coin toss will​
be used.

If that were my score in ribs or chicken, I probably wouldn't be too upset. I understand that an individual thigh or rib can be not as moist or tender.

However if that happened in Brisket or Pork where all of the samples "Should" be the same, then it would bug me a little.

If that were my score in ribs or chicken, I probably wouldn't be too upset. I understand that an individual thigh or rib can be not as moist or tender.

However if that happened in Brisket or Pork where all of the samples "Should" be the same, then it would bug me a little.

Regardless of what category of meat it was, five judges thought the appearance was excellent and one was just above average - that judge needs to explain his score!

... thought it was just kind of strange that judge gave 7's across the board more than anything.

Any news on where KCBS in terms of the new scoring sheets they demo'd at a few comps this year? Pellet Envy had it on their FB page and while the scoring stays the same, it appears you will be able to see how that judge scored your table in comparison to the other entries they judged. To me anyway, that seems like a good way of knowing if your scores are an out-liar or not.

Were all ribs in the box off the same rack? I have seen similar scores in my ribs and can only conclude if I put a 6th rib in off of a 2nd rack that maybe it wasn't as good as the others. Thank god they drop the low score.

Any news on where KCBS in terms of the new scoring sheets they demo'd at a few comps this year? Pellet Envy had it on their FB page and while the scoring stays the same, it appears you will be able to see how that judge scored your table in comparison to the other entries they judged. To me anyway, that seems like a good way of knowing if your scores are an out-liar or not.

Getting close and getting a few bugs out of the way with the system.

Were all ribs in the box off the same rack? I have seen similar scores in my ribs and can only conclude if I put a 6th rib in off of a 2nd rack that maybe it wasn't as good as the others. Thank god they drop the low score.

No, it was six ribs from the middle of the same rack.

Back