Stuck top vent on WSM

Gasket

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The top vent on my 22.5 gets stuck all the time. Does anyone else ever have this problem? I figure it's from the residue in the smoke. I waste coals because I can't close the top vent down in order to smother them. Is there anything I can do to loosen it up so it closes when I want it to? Maybe rub some veg oil or something on it. Any ideas?

On my kamado I had the same thing. One high temp burn out later and it's back to looking and working like new.

some carb cleaner will eat it off, spray it sparingly around the vent to clean it and work it back and fourth

my Kettle one sticks a lot- When its Hot I pour water on it and work it back n forth. If cool take top off and spray damper with Windex and let it sit for a bit then work it back n forth, clean it with a wet rag and rinse it off.:wink:

Been there. +1 to bending it up a little. Also, some degreaser and a good power hose spray will help.

Mine sticks but not so much I can't move it with a pliers. Which I use anyways, because it is hot.

Yeah - hot isn't as hard, but if it's been sitting for a week or so, it's pretty hard to move.

I usually give it a hearty tap with a spatula or tongs or something and it jars it loose and it's free-moving the rest of the cook once it gets hot. Not a deal breaker, but a tad annoying.

Try some of that orange cleaner stuff, does a real nice job of breaking up the grease

After you're done with a cook just take the top and place it on the base (no middle section so it's like a kettle) the heat should do a good job of getting rid of any creosote. Also doing this is a better way of putting out those coals quickly

After you're done with a cook just take the top and place it on the base (no middle section so it's like a kettle) the heat should do a good job of getting rid of any creosote. Also doing this is a better way of putting out those coals quickly[/QUOT

Never thought of that one. I'll have to try that on the next cook.

Weed burner blast. This worked when I needed to loosen the one-touch vents that were stuck shut on a '96 Stainless Steel Performer I bought this summer.

All these methods are great. Just do not use so much force that you bend it. Once bent, those vents never seal well. Better to remove it and clean it. If necessary, waste some charcoal to heat up the smoker to get it loose. Very gentle taps on the tab with a piece of soft wood while warm should work. Once it is free, clean it well.

Back