IN PROGRESS: Discussion Thread -> "Legs!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

DSC_1141_zps3e1c4195.jpg

Dang. That's fan-farking-tastic!

My official entry...

It is State Fair time in Texas, so my entry is based on a State Fair classic, the smoked turkey leg.

picture.php

I decided to kick the moisture up a notch, as smoked turkey legs can be a bit dry. I did an overnight brine on mine.

picture.php

After brining, rinsing and resting, I seasoned my legs with some cajun spices, as is pretty traditional.

picture.php

Then on to the WSM at 250, with pecan and live oak wood chunks. Here they are at one hour into the smoke.

picture.php

Two hours in, they are done.

picture.php

And here is the money shot, with traditional foil wrap, served on a traditional paper plate, with a traditional beer in a plastic cup.

picture.php

Welcome to the State Fair of Texas.

picture.php

Let's hope the new Big Tex doesn't catch on fire. :shock:

CD

Very traditional.

And delicious looking!!

Did the old Big Tex catch on fire?

Old Big Tex, 1952-2012. Sixty years old.

picture.php

We are all waiting to see the new Big Tex, which will probably look like the old Big Tex, sponsored by Kroger and other big money people and companies wanting to make a buck off of the fire.

CD

Turkey Osso Bucco

Please accept this as my official entry into the "Legs" Throwdown.

Legs, so many choices and lots of time to think about what to enter while flying home Wednesday. Here is my spin on an Italian Classic. Turkey Osso Bucco.

I began my adventure trying to find fresh turkey legs in my local market to no avail. Most turkey legs around here are already smoked and packaged this time of year. I did manage to find a couple after several failed attempts and they were huge!

I had to work quickly while my wife was out at the dentist, because I didn't want her to see me with a hacksaw cutting up the legs for my Osso Bucco. They were nice and thick!

I grilled them first over direct heat very hot to sear the outsides and seal in all the juices.

While that was progressing nicely, I rough chopped Yellow Onion, Carrots and Leeks.

Pulled the browned turkey off the grill and wrapped it all up in foil, and started to sweat my veggies.

I then fried up the left over portions of the shanks in olive oil and garlic, once I had some nicely browned bits and color, I added some more stock and reduced it to a slow roil.

Combined the two too complete the brazing liquid and brought up the temperature a bit.

Then I set up the kamado for indirect with the defuser stone on the lower grate. By utilizing the lower grate rather than the plate setter, it allows me to cook at a higher temp as there is more air circulation.

Everyone is all nestled in for a 2 hour slow simmer!

1-1/2 hours in I added some fresh cut rosemary to kick up the flavors a notch.

Platted with Garlic and Onion Smashed Spuds, French Epi Bread, and thickened the stock with cornstarch for the gravy. It was really tender and moist. Please use this as my polling pic.

I can not believe you just did turkey leg osso bucco. I swear I just bought the chit to do this tomorrow. I was taking a much different spin on it though. I figured there was no way in hell someone was going to do this. Looks great, but now I have to find something else to make. SOB.

I can not believe you just did turkey leg osso bucco. I swear I just bought the chit to do this tomorrow. I was taking a much different spin on it though. I figured there was no way in hell someone was going to do this. Looks great, but now I have to find something else to make. SOB.
Great minds stink alike! :thumb:

Happens to me regularly -- four times in one throwdown. :doh:

CD

Tell me about it. I had to go to four stores before I finally found uncooked turkey legs.

CD
I only had to go to three, but I think there really is not much demand for them, so they smoke them to cure and store. Loved your entry though, used to get those drumsticks at Disney.
Jed

I only had to go to three, but I think there really is not much demand for them, so they smoke them to cure and store. Loved your entry though, used to get those drumsticks at Disney.
Jed

We get the uncooked HoneySuckle brand for legs and wings here, and the store always has them. Uncooked turkey necks at the local mom and pop. Year round (The necks are BIG in Memphis, y'all).

Back