• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Moink Ball Recipe Needed

Anchors Smokeshop

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I need a Moink Ball recipe and smoking instructions.
Can anyone post a recipe or a link to a recipe.
Thanks!

There just bacon wrapped meatball smoked till the bacon firms up then sauced.

I use frozen meatballs. The cheap, thin cut store brand bacon works best for me. A half a slice of bacon per meatball is enough. I dust mine with the rub I use for butts & ribs. You can cook em low & slow or grill indirect. Heck, I've even cooked them in the :shocked: oven :shocked: Cook until the bacon is done & crisp. Dunk em in sauce & back on the heat for a few minutes to set the sauce.

There is no recipe really, it's just beef meatballs wrapped with pork bacon. After that it is all up to you. Rub, no rub, marinade, glaze, sauce, whatever...it's all up to you. Except for the cooking on a grill or smoker. That is also a requirement. No crock-pot MOINKs.

I usually fry my meatballs to brown them on the outside before putting them in the sauce. Should I brown these first, or just put them on the smoker raw? Also, how long do they take to cook on a WSM at 225?

That's up to you. If you use frozen meatballs, they are likely precooked, so that is not a lot different from frying up first, except that the frozen ones are a lot colder when you start. You want to cook them until the bacon is to your desired level of crispness. So the meatball can actually get overcooked, but since it's wrapped in bacon, nobody cares.

That's up to you. If you use frozen meatballs, they are likely precooked, so that is not a lot different from frying up first, except that the frozen ones are a lot colder when you start. You want to cook them until the bacon is to your desired level of crispness. So the meatball can actually get overcooked, but since it's wrapped in bacon, nobody cares.

I am using fresh ground beef chop meat. I don't want to fry them if I don't have to. Please help!

No need to fry them. Just roll them up into balls, wrap with bacon (I prefer using thin cut bacon) and secure with a toothpick, apply rub if desired, then put them in the cooker until the bacon is crispy. Apply sauce about 15 to 20 minutes before you pull them off if you want to sauce them. An easy way to sauce them is putting the sauce in a bowl, and adding some (or all depending on bowl size) of the MOINKs to the bowl to cover, or dip one at a time holding by the toothpick.

No need to fry them. Just roll them up into balls, wrap with bacon (I prefer using thin cut bacon) and secure with a toothpick, apply rub if desired, then put them in the cooker until the bacon is crispy. Apply sauce about 15 to 20 minutes before you pull them off if you want to sauce them. An easy way to sauce them is putting the sauce in a bowl, and adding some (or all depending on bowl size) of the MOINKs to the bowl to cover, or dip one at a time holding by the toothpick.

Not knowing what I'm doing, I decided to make my own concoction. I took the leftover fat and the back straps from the ribs I'm smoking and cut everything into little pieces. I put all of the fat and meat into a frying pan with beef broth and cooked it over low heat to get all of the flavor out of the fat and meat. I then strained it and put the liquid into a tin and put the moink balls in the tin. I dusted the moinkballs with rub, then put it into the smoker.
I figure the ribs have about 3 more hours, so I'll leave the moink balls in the smoker for about the same time. I'll probably flip them half way so the liquid get's into the whole moink ball.
Does this sound like it will work?

Last edited:
Is that PORK rib fat or BEEF rib fat in your meat concoction?

Just wondering...

MOINK balls, to be MOINK balls, must be beef meatballs, wrapped in bacon (I use the lower sodium version and a half slice per ball), rubbed, than smoked or grilled. Glaze is optional. I figure my rubs have enough sodium, as do the premade meatballs, so I cut it in the bacon as much as possible.

While I am sure your dish was great, they can't be considered MOINK balls, and you may have caused Larry (BBQ Grail), the inventor of MOINK balls to have a heart attack :)

When you get a change, make the original MOINKs -I have great results making a glaze from jalapeno jelly, mixed with apple jelly, thinned with just a bit of apple juice. MOINK goodness.

MOINK balls, to be MOINK balls, must be beef meatballs, wrapped in bacon (I use the lower sodium version and a half slice per ball), rubbed, than smoked or grilled. Glaze is optional. I figure my rubs have enough sodium, as do the premade meatballs, so I cut it in the bacon as much as possible.

While I am sure your dish was great, they can't be considered MOINK balls, and you may have caused Larry (BBQ Grail), the inventor of MOINK balls to have a heart attack :)

Wait... the meatballs are made from ground beef chop meat. I used pork fat and beef broth to make the liquid that the moink balls are cooking in. I am going to take them out of the liquid and place them on the cooker in a little while to let them crisp up.
Are you saying that because I added some pork fat to beef broth and added that to the cooking pan that these aren't moink balls?

Wait... the meatballs are made from ground beef chop meat. I used pork fat and beef broth to make the liquid that the moink balls are cooking in. I am going to take them out of the liquid and place them on the cooker in a little while to let them crisp up.
Are you saying that because I added some pork fat to beef broth and added that to the cooking pan that these aren't moink balls?

Hmmmm....

This is a new one. The Board of Directors of the International MOINK Ball Appreciation Society will have to take this one under advisemnt. A ruling will be forthcoming...

Hmmmm....

This is a new one. The Board of Directors of the International MOINK Ball Appreciation Society will have to take this one under advisemnt. A ruling will be forthcoming...

I don't know Larry. These look like bacon wrapped beef meatballs to me.
Where were you guys this morning when I was looking for the official recipe or a link to it?

Last edited:
Back