SOTW ARKANSAS 20K and only 33 teams

Sledneck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I noticed on the KCBS results page that this weekend Smoke on the Water in AR
had a $20K payout and only 33 teams. Seems a bit strange that so few teams came out for that kind of money . Anybody know why?

Smoke on the Water Arkansas State BBQ Championship Pine Bluff, AR
STATE CHAMPIONSHIP
ronnie@catesandcompany.com
KCBS Reps: WAYNE LOHMAN, WILLIAM GAGE, CAROL BIGLER, RANDY G BIGLER
Prize Money: $20000.00
Results In Number of Teams: 33 High Score: 679.428

With that amount of money on the table, only the "big" guys will pay the entry which tend to be somewhat higher for the cates affairs. It is probably too intimidating for the casual cooker to even consider. Location of the cookoff has a lot to do with number of teams. As an example, in OK today, there were 48 teams and only 8k in money but there were at least 3 of the top 25 teams in KCBS. Most of the teams were from within 100 miles of the contest and part of the cost consideration is the price of gas.

Why go compete against the top few and lose when you can compete at home and maybe win or at least have fun with family and friends?

Entry fee is higher, and I think that keeps a lot of teams away. I am OK with paying more for an entry if the prize money is there. We drove 5-1/2 hours for this one. This is our 3rd Smoke On The Water event this year. I think they do a good job. Team #'s might be down, but look at the team names it did draw.

With that amount of money on the table, only the "big" guys will pay the entry which tend to be somewhat higher for the cates affairs. It is probably too intimidating for the casual cooker to even consider. Location of the cookoff has a lot to do with number of teams. As an example, in OK today, there were 48 teams and only 8k in money but there were at least 3 of the top 25 teams in KCBS. Most of the teams were from within 100 miles of the contest and part of the cost consideration is the price of gas.

Why go compete against the top few and lose when you can compete at home and maybe win or at least have fun with family and friends?

Good Job today. Congrats!

Thanks, the Ponca City crowd was as tough as it gets and to finish even in the top 5 would have been fantastic, much less finishing RGC. Kosmo's Q smoked the field, he was 23 points in front of the closest competitor. :thumb:

Thanks, the Ponca City crowd was as tough as it gets and to finish even in the top 5 would have been fantastic, much less finishing RGC. Kosmo's Q smoked the field, he was 23 points in front of the closest competitor. :thumb:

Wow! Way to go Kosmo's Q. That is brutal.

I noticed on the KCBS results page that this weekend Smoke on the Water in AR
had a $20K payout and only 33 teams. Seems a bit strange that so few teams came out for that kind of money . Anybody know why?

It was the same in MI this year. big payout and only 30 something teams.

Did you look at the list of 78 competitors at Decatur, AL on the same weekend?

About the same money and over 2 times the competitors.

What is considered a reasonable entry fee these days? Seems to me that higher entry fees are keeping teams away.

What is considered a reasonable entry fee these days? Seems to me that higher entry fees are keeping teams away.

Tree Top sponsored the "Skewered Apple BBQ Championship" and it was sanctioned by PNWBA with a $175 registration fee-and $25 of that went to the Yakima Historical Museum. Tree Top offered $35,000 in prize money and the PNWBA kicked in close to $5000 more with deep payouts to 4th Place ($10,000 GC, $5000 RGC...) and side categories. 70 teams and mostly Western states and some Canadian teams. I was very surprised not seeing any big name teams here. The $175 entry didn't keep anyone away-there was a waiting list too!

Most KCBS and FBA comps are running $250. I paid $290 for the KCBS comp I'm doing in mid-Oct in NW GA. Total professional purse is $12,500. They will have 38-42 teams.

Tree Top sponsored the "Skewered Apple BBQ Championship" and it was sanctioned by PNWBA with a $175 registration fee-and $25 of that went to the Yakima Historical Museum. Tree Top offered $35,000 in prize money and the PNWBA kicked in close to $5000 more with deep payouts to 4th Place ($10,000 GC, $5000 RGC...) and side categories. 70 teams and mostly Western states and some Canadian teams. I was very surprised not seeing any big name teams here. The $175 entry didn't keep anyone away-there was a waiting list too!

That's Washington? Hmmm. Haven't cooked that state.....

Back