• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Basic Brisket Tutorial (pron heavy)

Thanks for bringing this thread to the front of the line, I have a brisket that will be going on this morning and I can grab some quick tips.

Many thanks to the author!

That was a fantastic tutorial. Makes me want to go out and get a packer and give it a try. I do lots of pork (butts & ribs) and tri-tips once in a while, but I've never done a brisket. Maybe it's time.

Me, too! I will be trying my first brisket this summer. Very inspiring!! Thank you!

Great thread, but there are too many simular pics in the OP. Pic editing is a pain, but very neccessary.

Haven't tried a brisket yet but we're getting ready to attempt. Thanks for the tutoring, it'll come in handy.

Great tutorial. I wish this would have seen this three weeks ago when I did my first brisket. Loved the explanation on the burnt ends, been trying to figure out how to cook those...

Dadgummit I wish Id of waited to do mine.That looks so easy now. Im sure it will take some practice but thats half of the fun.Thanks for clearing up alot of my doubts.It was a really good tutorial.Thanks,Cal.

Fantastic tutorial. Great stop along the road map I've been reading non-stop for the better part of a week. Gotta love this site. Chris your effort is greatly appreciated.

Motivates me to cook some brisket. Restaurant Depot near me has Beef Brisket on sale this month. :grin:

I will put together a whole pig tutorial in September. You set a pretty high standard for tutorials, but I will give it a go.

Man. This is just what I needed, thanks.

First brisket coming this week. I was making this out to be harder than it has to be. I'll follow this and have a few beers and hopefully a brisket that looks like yours!

That was a very helpful tutorial. I just cooked my first brisket last weekend and really could have used some of that information thank you for being so detailed, my next brisket will be that much better!

After you cut up the point to make brunt ends what do you put it in when putting it back on the smoker? A foil pan or a veggie tray? I also heard of people taking the point and adding it to the BBQ sauce?

The point was very tender, the probe slid right in and out like butter. The flat was not tender however, I had to stick the probe in and it had some decent resistance. So I put the lid back on and checked it again in an hour. It still wasn't quite ready so I waited another hour, then it was done and tender in both the flat and the point. So this packer took 12 hours at 250 to get done.

QUESTION ABOUT THE ABOVE:
IS there a concern about drying out the point, while you waited another two hours for the flat?
Thanks and thanks for this awesome tutorial.

Great tutorial Big :thumb:. Should be very helpful to a lot of people. I've been doing briskets for a few years and i even picked up a pointer or two. Nicely done!

As others, I really appreciate this post. I've been out due to some severe knee injuries, and I thought I remembered some stickies in the past that went deep into the philosophy of different brisket techniques. Did those all go away, or is my old mind just slipping?

Back