Staining from injection

Bayou Boogie BBQ

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I've been injecting with Butchers for about a year and I've done pretty well. I just started taking pictures of my turn ins a little while back and have been noticing staining/discoloration in my slices. I inject with the grain. Is there another technique for avoiding stains? You can see from the pic that there are some lighter spots.

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 313
Couple of questions...

1) What are you mixing the Butcher's with?
2) Are you following the proper ratio of injection mix to liquid?

Oh, and for competition purposes if you don't want to share the exact liquid mixture, that's fine. Just PM me a rough idea. I think you're using some type of beef broth, or beef bouillon that is settling within the meat fibers after injection.

I did mix some beef broth with this one because I was trying to get that darker look that seems to be doing well, but I cooked one yesterday with just butchers, mixed with the correct ratios, and I still saw some lighter blotches though not as pronounced.

If you want flavor from the injection there is no way to avoid stains all the time in my opinion. You can hide the stains with your presentation.

Yeah Jack, the flavor on this one was great, but the presentation scores were not as good. I got 898977.

I think the first thing to try would be to brush your slices with an au jus/sauce mixture...don't change your entire plan if it's just a presentation issue. Then, give the other ideas a try if you're not happy.

Good luck.

Check your needle. Bacteria from a dirty needle will cause this also. PM me if you need any help.

Bacteria in the needle? That's a new one on me. We wash everything real well with antibacterial soap and hot water. I've got a brand new injector still in the package that i'll use next time and see how it turns out. This was one of the questions I was gonna ask you at your class in Tulsa, but I have a prior engagement keeping me from making it.

Nothing in the Butchers when mixed as the directions call for should cause discoloration of the meat. I've also heard of the bacteria in needles causing off colors. You may not be cleaning them as well as you think.

I'm not sure this could happen but is there a possibility that the lighter color you see (in contrast with the dark) is an area where you did not get injection and thus is dryer than the darker parts? I'm just guessing there. David, any thoughts on that possibility?

Sorry for such a slow respond but we have been traveling. If you study the picture show the makes that I see are lighter in color than the rest of the meat. So I don't see track marks from where the needle entered the meat. Also if this was the injection you didn't put much injection thru out the muscle with 85 to 90% of the meat being darker. So I would have to tend to believe that this might be none injected spots. Of course this is only from looking at the front slice of the box and it could have been all different thru the brisket.

Another thing is if you did mix the injection with anything carmel color or anything dark it could stain the meat. there again the spots I see look like they are lighter than a rest so I still tend to believe the above mentioned.

If this isn't the case I would sure like to know so we can all help you out and keep this from happening on your next cook. Keep us posted or send me a PM.

just did this brisket and box for a class this weekend---injected with Butchers with prime dust in a 'standard' ratio--vultures came b4 the pics but no visible tracks--used 14g needle

Attachments

• brisketbox.jpg
    brisketbox.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Sorry for such a slow respond but we have been traveling. If you study the picture show the makes that I see are lighter in color than the rest of the meat. So I don't see track marks from where the needle entered the meat. Also if this was the injection you didn't put much injection thru out the muscle with 85 to 90% of the meat being darker. So I would have to tend to believe that this might be none injected spots. Of course this is only from looking at the front slice of the box and it could have been all different thru the brisket.

Another thing is if you did mix the injection with anything carmel color or anything dark it could stain the meat. there again the spots I see look like they are lighter than a rest so I still tend to believe the above mentioned.

If this isn't the case I would sure like to know so we can all help you out and keep this from happening on your next cook. Keep us posted or send me a PM.

I used beef broth instead of water to the mixture, as I was trying to make the meat darker. I injected a little more than recomended, but I used the correct ratios when I mixed the broth and Butchers. I also injected using the checker board method. What else can I do to make sure I don't miss any spots? BTW I boiled all my needles.

I used beef broth instead of water to the mixture, as I was trying to make the meat darker. I injected a little more than recomended, but I used the correct ratios when I mixed the broth and Butchers. I also injected using the checker board method. What else can I do to make sure I don't miss any spots? BTW I boiled all my needles.

It sounds like you have taken all possible bactieria out of question. Thats good because you need to eliminate everything possible. Other than the broth being a little heavy on coloring, the only other option would be the injection because it sure wouldn't be the water (unless you used a little water from your local river :rolleyes:) Keep me posted if you run across this again.

just did this brisket and box for a class this weekend---injected with Butchers with prime dust in a 'standard' ratio--vultures came b4 the pics but no visible tracks--used 14g needle

You dont know how hard it was to get 6 burnt ends saved for the box. Chase one of the Buzzards off and two would come in from the other way.

You dont know how hard it was to get 6 burnt ends saved for the box. Chase one of the Buzzards off and two would come in from the other way.

Sounds to me that I need to grow feathers and come do a fly over at your next contest.

Back