• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Scratch New Holland off the list.

Sawdustguy

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
We were thinking of trying the New Holland, PA contest this coming year until I read last years registration form. I called the contest organizer and verified it is at the same site. Boys, this is an inhumane request. I understand it is Lancaster County but they have no idea what they are asking.

Set up begins at 8:00 AM on Friday, August the 26th; Judging begins 11:30 AM Saturday the 27th. Awards will be presented at 4:15 PM. This is a KCBS sanctioned event with all KCBS rules applicable. Additional rules may be available at sign up. Site torn down and free of litter by 8:30 PM Saturday night. No Alcohol allowed on Park Property . All FoodVendors must show proof of liability insurance naming, KCBS and New Holland Community Memorial Park as additionally insured. Waiver of Liability: In consideration of your accepting this entry, I the undersigned, intending to be legally bound, hereby for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, waive and release any and all rights and claims for damages I may have against New Holland Community Memorial Park, New Holland Summer Fest Committee, Kansas City Barbecue Society, or any individual or group responsible for the organization or management of New Holland Summer Fest. I hereby grant permission for New Holland Summer Fest Committee and or/ agents authorized by them, to use any photographs, videotapes, motion pictures, recordings and any other record of this event for any legitimate purpose. I agree to abide by the rules and regulations of New Holland Summer Fest, New Holland Community Memorial Park, and the Kansas City Barbecue Society (copies may be requested from the KCBS ).

Cmon - you never drank in a park that didn't allow alcohol? Just keep it in unmarked cups.

BrooklynQ said:
Cmon - you never drank in a park that didn't allow alcohol? Just keep it in unmarked cups.

Well.....hmm.....I guess.....uh....If ya put it.....ahem......that way. Yes, absolutely! Guilty as charged but the devil made me do it. Point well taken.:rolleyes: :wink: :biggrin:

Just like at Hecksher, its a state park.. no alcohol was allowed at grill kings either. ... and uh... yeah right.

THUMP
Thats the sound of me hitting the floor I guess New Holland is out

Will,

If either one of us hit the floor it would be a little louder than thump.

Phil,

Is that true? I never realized no booze at a state park. In a previous job when the office went over quota as a whole by a set amount there used to be a company sponsored beer blast and we always used to have it at Bethpage Park. Maybe your right, they choose to look the other way if you behave yourself.

I just thought it was funny that New Holland picked a location where no booze is allowed. It may just be a dry county in PA. I wasn't aware that there was no booze allowed at NYS parks either. I don't know how strict they are in New Holland but we do this for fun and want to enjoy ourselves without having to worry about being hassled because we want to enjoy a few cold beers. There are other contests and we will just pick another to go to.

New Holland is supposed to be one of the best contests in the North East. I've never been, but I've been told that it's one that shouldn't be missed. It's close enough to the NE to bring in their teams and close enough to the heartland to bring in a lot of top teams that don't usually go that far east.

"Dry" events are not that uncommon, even in the SE.

At Dillard they were very clear that Officers would issue a $114 (I think) ticket for open containers--"Do not get caught with beer cans or liquor bottles in the open--we can not help you!" was the warning in the Cook's Meeting--WINK WINK!
Police around all weekend. No beer tent. No bottles or cans showing. No problem.

I have a 20oz insulated "coffee cup" with a lid.
Keeps my coffee hot and my "iced tea" WINK-WINK cold.
I saw a lot of coffee and tea drinkers at Dillard
icon_biggrin.gif

Did you know that excess caffeine causes blurred speech, glazed eyes, and a funny walk???

Handle it as you wish, just not a big deal.

TIM

This is an education for me. I am not saying that my brother and I are big time drinkers but we enjoy a beer or two when we take a break from cooking. We are careful not to drink too much because we have a pit to tend and other pit related tasks to worry about. I understand, done very discreetly we could enjoy a beer without anyone knowing, but if something were to happen I would not want to embarass anyone or ruin it for my team mates. Since it seems to be a good contest, I will bounce it off of my brother (the other fat polock) and see what he has to say. After looking at the schedule there are alot of contests in a row. I don't know, maybe this would be a good contest to do, but it is not my decision alone to make. If the majority of the team says go, we go.

This may seem like a dumb thread but having done only one contest we could use all the help and info we can get. We don't have 1/1000 the competition experience that you guys have. Gary (my bro) and I had no clue New Holland was such a good contest. We were ready to cross it off our list. Thanks all for the responses. Live and learn.

At Dillard they "enforced" the "open container laws" -- at one point they even said (incorrectly and clarrified later) that this included water bottles and soda cans! The big thing is be discreet - use insulated cups, large Dixie cups, etc. We had the advantage of having the motorcoach and so all our "adult beverages" were inside. We simply filled our glasses and moved outside to the lawn chairs.

FL state parks are "dry" too, but I nearly always have a few beers and/or Mike's in the trailer for after hours. I've never had a problem - but then I don't get drunk and try and moon the ranger either.

"FL state parks are "dry" too, but I nearly always have a few beers and/or Mike's in the trailer for after hours. I've never had a problem - but then I don't get drunk and try and moon the ranger either."

He doesn't "moon" because he leaves the Reuinite (sp?) at home
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

Just like I stay out of the Southern Comfort
icon_redface.gif

Just don't overthink this deal.

Of all the factors in choosing an event, this one should be near or at the very bottom of the list! Really, a non-issue.

TIM

beer blends real well inside of Mt. Dew pop bottles, I have been told I mean.

I was involved with an event that did not allow folks to bring in their own alcohol as the organizer wanted the profit from the beer sales from his beer trailer to go towards the new floor for the girls gym, or what ever worth cause.

However, on Friday night when only the teams were there he unlocked the taps and the beer was free. If you choose to drink your own stuff, that was fine too.

Sometimes folks say stuff so that they can show that they said it - even if they don't mean it.

" No Alcohol allowed on Park Property ."

Do they allow electricity?

Since it is the season, I think this kind of relates to the company Christmas parties in my area anyway. In the past, a company Christmas party was a nice meal, long winded speach by some guy full of hot air, and then a dance with live music accompanied by an orgy of drinking with mid level managers with pockets full of drink tickets (that would be me). The past few years this has denigrated to 2 drinks per person, after that you buy your own. For some reason they think this releases the company from liability. I do realize the madd mothers are right and I am wrong, but damn I miss the old wild west, as it were.

Back