Jamaican Hot Sauce "Grady" ?

I once had a man work for me, whose wife was from Tobago Trinidad. He knew that I liked spicy food so he brought in some hot sauce that his wife had made. It was yellow, so I didn't think that it was dangerous. I put a few drops on my sandwich, and SWEET MOTHER OF NAPALM. I could barley breath. I learned the hard way never judge a sauce by it's color.

LMAO

T&T has a great food culture. Every home has their own peppa sauce receipe(s)...just like the vinegar sauce that started this thread is no doubt fairly unique to the home in which it's made. The house next door will do it a bit differently.

Jamaican ‘Gravy’.

Ingredients.
2 shallots (spring onions),

6 garlic cloves,

2 cups Scotch bonnet chillies,

20 thyme sprigs,

1 tbsp whole pimento,

white vinegar sugar,

soy sauce

Before you make the sauce, you’ll need an old rum bottle, with a little bit of rum left in it. (You know that almost empty bottle of rum that your grandmother has in the back of her drinks cabinet? Yeah, steal that).

To make the sauce, trim the shallots, chop them into very small pieces and put them aside in a bowl. Peel the garlic and cut each clove into about five pieces. Cut the chillies into quarters, top to bottom. Snip the thyme sprigs into 1cm lengths.
Next, stuff the chillies, shallot, garlic, thyme sprigs, and pimento into the rum bottle. Try to stuff them in evenly, so all of the ingredients are distributed nicely.
Next top up the bottle with boiling vinegar and a couple of dashes of soy sauce. Add a few spoons of sugar into the bottle and screw on the lid. Turn the bottle upside down and back a few times, then top up the bottle with a bit more boiling vinegar, so that the vinegar reaches the very top. Put the bottle in a dark place and leave it for a month or so.
This stuff is insane. It’s like Jamaican Tabasco … except hotter.

source: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=1730427

Back