• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Steve Raichlen

C

crow-p5

I was wondering what everyone's opinion was of this guys work. I've found quite a few good recipes out of his books myself.

I don't have any of Stephen's books, yet, so I can't really speak of his recipes. Once I find him on my local PBS channel, they drop his show after 2 or 3 weeks of watching it.

What kills me though, if you go over to his BBQ board, those people think that he is a God. :lol:

His recipes are really good - especially the rubs and sauces. Got a few books. Also, enjoyable to read, too.

His show BBQ U is informative and enjoyable. Has smokers running in the background on every show but rarely puts the in the show. Talks about smoking on grills - wood, lump, charcoals and gas.

I want his Grill-Cam

He's okay.

He uses barbecue and grilling almost interchangably, but I don't have a problem with that.

I think its neat how he cracks out the 54" kettle to smoke a brisket in 3 hours. He's pretty creative to, and he's left handed, so whats not to like?

I think it's bad that people will knock him more for the differences than the similiarities...Yes.. he grills, but he cooks with charcoal and wood.... Is that such a bad thing ? I only saw his show once, but his BBQ books have probably been as good of a starting point for many to learn about real BBQ and smoking than a lot else.

I've been given both of his books as gifts.. For a beginner, they are quite informative and for an itermediate or advanced level cook there's always a thing or two to adapt and experiment with...

It's not like he's cooking on an FEC :mrgreen:

willkat98 said:
He's pretty creative to, and he's left handed, so whats not to like?

He wears those beady little glasses!:biggrin:

MilitantSquatter said:
I think it's bad that people will knock him more for the differences than the similiarities...Yes.. he grills, but he cooks with charcoal and wood.... Is that such a bad thing ? I only saw his show once, but his BBQ books have probably been as good of a starting point for many to learn about real BBQ and smoking than a lot else.

I've been given both of his books as gifts.. For a beginner, they are quite informative and for an itermediate or advanced level cook there's always a thing or two to adapt and experiment with...

It's not like he's cooking on an FEC :mrgreen:

I have to agree here, I think he has a broader knowledge base than we give him credit for. Just 'cause he does make a living as a grilling guy and he does write books with a beginner in mind, doesn't mean he has no idea of the theory of barbecue. That being said, last year he bought a BDS from Rocky and has used it along with other cookers in his class. I had to chuckle at this entry from his blog talking about the weed burner he got for the BDS. He is shown using it on spit grilled pineapple....

http://www.barbecuebible.com/blog/2007_01/18_cool_tool_depar.php

thillin said:
He wears those beady little glasses!:biggrin:

I wonder if he wears loafers with those little tassles? :rolleyes:

I have a couple of his books. How to Grill and Sauces,Slathers & Rubs. They are both pretty good. there are some good recipies in both.

I was given BBQ USA for a gift recently and last week on the spur of the moment did Beef ribs using the recipe from Blue Smoke in NYC. They turned out great. I kind of like this book because he spotlights pitmasters and Q joints around the country. I'd watch his show if it was on in my area. I visit the site also, and people have been very generous with mods and tips on the various pits I,ve been working on.

Last edited:
thirdeye said:
I wonder if he wears loafers with those little tassles? :rolleyes:

Hey now. I had a pair of those in the slipper model (moccasins) and used them to go out and check the cookers in the wee hours. Farkin dog ate them though so we can poke fun now.

I've got a couple of his books, "BBQ USA" and "How to Grill" and I have used quite a few of the recipes from them. I enjoy his show as well. When it comes to his BBQ recipes, I *always* find myself adjusting the temperatures down and the cooking times up.

Overall, he's responsible for getting a lot of people interested in grilling and BBQ and that's a good thing.

he can sure grill just about anything you can think of. seems like I've seen him bake a desert on a grill.

Steve is into grilling with working knowledge of smoking, he has stated as much. If I had worked out a place in the market and was making the kind of cash he is I might keep grilling for the most part on the show.

I recieved the BBQ Bible as a gift a couple years ago.....I would agree he's a grilling guy, but hey, I love anything grilled!! I especially like the stuff he does on Middle eastern and African flavors. I love to take some of his basic stuff and just make it my own.

I like his books. I don't watch TV so I've never seen the show. Books like his make for great reference books and for sparking new ideas. I have the Bible, USA, and the rub/sauce one.

I got into all this outdoor cooking stuff starting with a couple of his books. I'm a high poster on the BBQ Bible forum, and I've never thought he was a god. :)

Some don't like his products, but I will say this for them... I bought a couple of things and had problems with one of them; he has personally emailed me about them, and promised a replacement when the new model is out.

He's making a lot of money with his cooking and books, etc. It's tough to knock that. He's also a classicly trained chef, from what I understand.

I got the bbq bible rubs/sauce book after i got my trailer pit (which was my first true smoker) and i remember it taking me hours to try and get a fire going and then we never did eat i dont think cause it was never done. so my friend and his wife for my birthday got me this book and it was great for me being the novice and not really having any idea on smoking brisket or ribs or chicken., i kinda learned on my own with trial and error, and after i got this book and begin making some of the sauces and rubs and perfecting my techniques and getting cooking temps and times down, it was an even greater assest because the food actually begin tasting great. i would still like to get the big bbq bible and maybe a few more of his books, just for the recipe ideas and some of the back ground on where the sauces and rubs come from.

cmcadams said:
I got into all this outdoor cooking stuff starting with a couple of his books. I'm a high poster on the BBQ Bible forum, and I've never thought he was a god. :)

But do you see what I mean with some of the others there, or is it just me?

I just think as a public figure he is an easy target for people to criticize. He mostly teaches grilling and throws some BBQ in from time to time, His recipes are good to average and he delivers what he promises. I have purchased two of his products and they were both first rate. I purchased the fireplace gloves and the grill hoe and they both worked extremely well. If you are looking for a BBQ Guru, maybe not, but for grilling, the man knows what he talking about.

I enjoy reading his books. He is where i got started. If not for seeing him make that beer can chicken a few years back i would not you wackos

Back