• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Your WORST Box Ever! (What Not to Turn in!)

Well, not like we're old hands at comps now by any means, but I'd like to think we're better than this one, our first in Westmont, IL this past Memorial day.

Brisket looks dry, chicken's a mess, and the pork....well, it tasted better than it looked!

Actually, we were happy the brisket did 18th of 35! And that pork box got 3 9's for appearance! :shock: Looks pretty dry to me, but for some reason I thought it looked good then

We were honestly just happy to have made all the turn-in's on time with no DQ's! (Although there is no rib photo because we just got them turned in under the wire....no time for pics

http://s300.photobucket.com/albums/nn21/2SkinnyCooks/Westmont/

This is not the worst box ever, but it holds close to it. What was I thinking?
SpringMensBBQ2007019a.jpg

RCS - Other than looking like you baked it in the oven, what's the matter with this box?
Well, to me it looks just like you said....roast beef:eek:. It was dry and had no taste:shock:. I injected it with some "Big Cow Injection" and it came out so pale. Those burnt ends:rolleyes:
I should have trimmed the brisket to the box before I cooked it too.

How do you win with meat cut with the grain? Were they in the contest by themselves?

How do you win with meat cut with the grain? Were they in the contest by themselves?

I got a box judging in Hammond last year that was cut with the grain like that. It was obviously overcooked and they couldn't cut it the correct way without it falling apart, so we judged it on it's merit and it wasn't the worst piece of brisket I judged that day:lol:

My brothers first chicken in a competition, to give him credit he was a one man drunk team!

LumpdogsQ.jpg

Well, this is a great thread! I can honestly say, that some of these entries looked a helluva lot better than my first turn in... and that was only last year at Dover.

So much meat to burn, and so much to learn...

Wow...I have been reading this thread, laughing out loud...this thread was the best! I must admit that I do feel better...I am in some great company! Thanks!

OK u asked for it so you want UGGGGGLY

Uggggggly

Attachments

• turn-in boxes 063.jpg
    turn-in boxes 063.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 2,209
  • turn-in boxes 061.jpg
    turn-in boxes 061.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 2,210
  • turn-in boxes 058.jpg
    turn-in boxes 058.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 2,214
  • turn-in boxes 056.jpg
    turn-in boxes 056.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 2,209
  • turn-in boxes 045.jpg
    turn-in boxes 045.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 2,211
  • turn-in boxes 034.jpg
    turn-in boxes 034.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 2,208
  • turn-in boxes 010.jpg
    turn-in boxes 010.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2,207
  • turn-in boxes 004.jpg
    turn-in boxes 004.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 2,203
  • sebring 06 002.jpg
    sebring 06 002.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 2,212
  • turn-in boxes 041.jpg
    turn-in boxes 041.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,203
2008 Ducks Unlimited in Ankeny, IA

DAL ribs (technically 39th out of 39)! :eek::roll::eek:

When trying to determine which rack to submit, our "official" taster actually uttered the phrase, "You can't really taste the burnt on this rack". Keep in mind, we had 6 racks to choose from. :eusa_clap:eek:

227.jpg

notice the "burnt" ribs below. they all turned out like that. not our best day to say the least. :-D

214.jpg

I dont know that the pink princiess towl was any help either. :)

You are right Big'un. Maybe a sad commentary on the standards I have for what goes in my mouth......I would eat it all!

this is the only shot i have of a turn in .it was also my first and won 1st place at a local backyard event.

IMG012.jpg

Back