Thread: KCBS Pork Rule
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 09:23 PM   #134
Smoke'n Ice
is one Smokin' Farker

I sent the following as an email to bod:
Dear KCBS BOD members:

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Boston Roast, Picnic and/or Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of four (4) pounds at time of inspection. After trimming, pork shall be cooked whole (bone in or bone out), however, once cooked, it may be separated and returned to the cooker at the cook's discretion. It may be turned in chopped, pulled, chunked, sliced or a combination of any of those."

The above referenced rule now legalizes the cooking of the money muscle or any other separated muscle of the pork shoulder. This statement is not based on semantics or liberal interpretation of the written rule, it is based on the rule as written. Nothing will prevent me, a cook, from presenting 4 each pork butts, bone in or bone out, weighing 4 pounds or more for inspection. Once the inspection is complete, I can, by rule, trim one or more of the butts so that only the money muscle remains and cook just that muscle. The trimmings can be placed in a cooler for another use in my restaurant or home or just thrown away.

I am free, by the rule as written, to cook one or more of the whole butts for pulled and chunk and grill one or more of the money muscles, as trimmed, for inclusion as sliced pork.

If I were so inclined, I could bring a couple of pork tenderloins in another cooler, and after inspection cook them and pass them as mm. Now this is cheating but it will be difficult to prove as the rule now allows me to cook just one of the muscles. I believe that this is what was happening in the past and was the reason for the old rule.

Is this really what you wanted? The old rule left room for interpretation but this type of interpretation was against the intent of the rule. The new rule has the intent of allowing the cooking of any portion of the butt that the cook desires without misinterpretation or going against the intent of the rule.

Thank you for your efforts but it is becoming more of a grilling and sauce contest and less about the art of BBQ with rule changes like this.

Mack Yarbrough
Smoke’n Ice
Smoke'n Ice is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->