First Attempt at Pork Butts for Christmas day lunch

Ramiro0727

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I am attempting my first pork butts. I have 3 butts averaging about 8 pounds each. I plan to keep temp around 250 degrees on my UDS. I want to have them done around 1 p.m. Christmas day. What time should I start smoking them?
Any advice anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. Also I am smoking 5 tri-tips also on anothe UDS. Pork butts all rubbed up

Attachments

• Rubbed Pork Butts.jpg
    Rubbed Pork Butts.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 74
If ya start them at 11. Whenever they get done just throw them in a cooler. They will hold for 3-6 hrs in a cooler. Cook them so they are done at 11 a.m.

I estimate 1.5 hours per pound if I want to pull them. Give or take an hour or so that should get you close.

I agree with Johnny_Crunch. At 250 figure 90 minutes per pound. I'd also add an hour buffer just in case you get a stubborn one. When they are done wrap them in foil and put them into a pre-heated, dry cooler with towels or clean newspaper for insulation and they'll stay hot until you're ready for lunch.

Thanks for the responce back Ron L, Johnny Crunch and WineMaster. Should I foil them after they smoke for like 5 to 6 hours?

Back