logo

2nd comp ever, Please rate my boxes?!?!

Qbert60

Take a breath!
Reaction score
This was at the Taste of Grand Rapids event on 7/27-7/28. 39 total teams. I won't mention yet where I fared. Congratulations to the back to back to back to back (4 in a row) Grand Champion, Scottie from Cancersuckschicago.com. Thank you in advance. I love feedback and I have a comp on the 17th.

Attachments

• upload_camera_214.jpeg
    upload_camera_214.jpeg
    36.3 KB · Views: 423
  • upload_camera_216.jpeg
    upload_camera_216.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 427
  • upload_camera_217.jpeg
    upload_camera_217.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 422
  • upload_camera_218.jpeg
    upload_camera_218.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 421
Work on your garnish, even it up and try to make nice clean cuts on those ribs. Congrats on finishing your 2nd event.

Chicken - 9
Nice uniform color and size
Ribs - 7
Jagged cut, 1st,5th,6th don't look like the same slab. Could be the way they were placed.
Pork-8 Darkish pic just doen't make it pop
Brisket - 7 Looks like bark crumbs on alot of pieces. Not evenly placed.

Chicken looks good. 9

The rib sauce looks a little uneven and gloopy in parts. Try to smooth that out. The rib lengths all look a little different and don't line up like none of the ribs came from the same rack. Was that the case here? 7

Pork looks nice, especially that money muscle. Did you put any sauce on it at all? Not that you have to sauce pork so just wondering. 8

Brisket the slices need to be put in a little tighter together so they line up better. Also looks like some of the top of the brisket rub is on the front on the slices. The burnt ends are a little hard to see, but look ok. 7

Thanks for sharing.

Am I missing something or do those ribs need to trimmed into st Louise spares?

I bought 4 racks from RD and they were marked "St Louis Cut" spareribs. I went with it.

I finished 35th out of 39 teams

Chicken - 20th (I thought it was my best yet)
Ribs - 39th (I am taking all of the suggestions on this)
Pork - 35th (No sauce and i think that took away from the overall taste)
Brisket - 15th (by far my best category)

Definitely want to straighten the other side of the ribs out. It doesn't look like they were trimmed down at all.

Chicken - 9, looks good, but be mindful of even saucing.

Ribs - 7, just generally uneven - including in length and width. I think the placement within the box was poor as you can really only see the inner meat from one rib. Also, different amounts of bone are showing from each rib. I know managing the pullback is sometimes out of your control, and I would haven't deducted points for this, but in the same way that you don't score for garnish, this is noticeable.

Pork - 9, a little difficult to see in this picture, but I think it looks good.

Brisket - 7. I agree with previous comments on crumbs on meat and ends being difficult to see because they are behind the pieces. I think the overall shape of each piece is also not great - they are almost tear shaped.

you need to make sure the ribs are actually trimmed st. louise style. those are just spare ribs... or maybe a really small styrofoam box. It would help the presentation.

with pork... I would say go ahead and fill that box up with meat. small amounts like that don't look as appealing... imo

7 chicken. Uneven sauce. Uneven placement from the way the pic looks. Uniformity is off.
6 ribs. Trim them up better. Make them more uniform. Touch up the lighter areas with sauce. It looks a little sloppy.
7 pulled pork. Looks good. Use nice big chunks with bark. IMHO, I dont like it shredded to small. If you arent given a fork, everyone else's fingers are in what you are gonna eat.
7 brisket. Slices appear to have bark over the face of them. Clean them up a bit and place them in there in a more uniform fashion.

Last edited:
Chicken - 7
I've found that presenting the side of the chicken to the judges scores better than presenting the ends of the thighs.

Ribs - 7
Would like to see them turned 90* in the box as to not show the judges the sides of the ribs

Pork - 8
Don't be afraid to fill the box

Brisket - 7 maybe 8
Clean those slices up and I'd like to see the burnt ends in the front of the box, but that's my preference.

How do you figure? It doesnt look like chicken. I cant.believe 8 and ,9 were given above.

Trust me, I have learned to cook what I can. I take no offense. However, constructive feedback is much more appreciated.

I bought 4 racks from RD and they were marked "St Louis Cut" spareribs. I went with it.

Sort of St. Louis, but not there yet. Baby backs are the ribs near the spine of the pig. St. Louis is the rest of the rib. The St. Louis cuts you buy in the store will sometimes include the cartilage at the end of the rib bone, and that's what you have here.

Find the end of the longest bone, take a chef's knife, and trim the whole cartilage end of the rib off so the ribs are all the length of the longest bone. Those ribs should be a couple of inches shorter than they are. You see those white nubs poking out the side of the rib at the end? That's the cartilage end and should not be there.

Back