22 1/2'' wsm

A

A-dub

Just purchased and assembled my new 22 1/2'' WSM. I can't wait to use it.

I didn't see anything in the instructions about seasoning the smoker but should this be done prior to my first cook?

If so, any suggestions on what I should do?

I was thinking of just running a batch of charcoal through it and maybe spraying the inside with cooking spray.

Thanks!

Just fire it up, and cook. No seasoning necessary.
PA it will run hot the first few cooks due to the shiny new surface. Congrats!

I have a 22.5" WSM and LOVE it. It can be beneficial to do a "dry run" without food, just to give you a chance to see what it takes to control temperature. It's cheaper to burn charcoal than to mess up a load of meat.

I don't know about spraying with vegetable oil...never heard that one.

No need to season it as far as rust is concerned but it does seal up tighter after a few cooks. Temp control becomes easier after that point.

Sooooo, cook a few fattys to get the process started.

And, BTY, congratulations !

Okay I think I might do a small run of charcoal to burn off any thing that may be there from sitting in the box or manufacturing.

I only mention oil because I believe that Lang and other smoker manufacturers recommend it to prevent rust etc. Maybe this isn't necessary. Thanks everyone for the tips!

Just purchased and assembled my new 22 1/2'' WSM. I can't wait to use it.

I didn't see anything in the instructions about seasoning the smoker but should this be done prior to my first cook?

If so, any suggestions on what I should do?

I was thinking of just running a batch of charcoal through it and maybe spraying the inside with cooking spray.

Thanks!

Congrats! Based on Brethren feedback I have a Chic on mine...started at 4ish...internal temp at 131....Cheers!

Okay I think I might do a small run of charcoal to burn off any thing that may be there from sitting in the box or manufacturing.

I only mention oil because I believe that Lang and other smoker manufacturers recommend it to prevent rust etc. Maybe this isn't necessary. Thanks everyone for the tips!

nobody suggested that was necessary...so why ask if you're not gonna take the advice?

other cookers are made from other materials. i would not spray any oil inside my WSM's.

simply pick what you want to cook and fire it up!

congrats and enjoy!

When I first got mine, I washed the cooking grates, wiped down the inside/outside (damp papertowel) and then threw some BB's on. Some of the best homemade BB's I ever had.

I did not even wash mine. Just threw on some chicken, better for the higher heat that will result in the first few cooks. Pork butts are also forgiving! That would be a first good cook as well. Also could just do a fatty!

Thanks everyone. I will fire it up for the first time tomorrow night.

I have heard so many good things about this smoker I couldn't resist it any longer! I had to get one...

I think this will be great for smaller cooks since my other smoker is a lot larger. But this thing is bigger than I thought it was going to be- which is nice!

Back