pigs for competition

N

nancee

So it looks like Chad and us are cooking pigs down in Georgia. Anyone ever done this? Any hints, tips, suggestions, etc are greatly appreciated...
just can't resist a challenge; plus I don't often get the opportunity to cook anything other than chicken!!!
thanks
nancee

Whole hogs? Wow. I can give you a huge list of what not to do after watching my brother-in-law's team come in dead last in hog for 5 years at Memphis in May.

The MIM officials finally put them out of their misery last year, offering to move them to the rib category "cause you're not getting any better."

But I've seen many teams do it right, balancing the cooking times of the different parts of the hog with injections, foil, etc. It'll be fun!

I will take the right and wrongs...thanks

SmokeInDaEye said:
Whole hogs? Wow. I can give you a huge list of what not to do after watching my brother-in-law's team come in dead last in hog for 5 years at Memphis in May.

The MIM officials finally put them out of their misery last year, offering to move them to the rib category "cause you're not getting any better."

But I've seen many teams do it right, balancing the cooking times of the different parts of the hog with injections, foil, etc. It'll be fun!

i've done sucklig pigs, but never whole hogs. Dont know which you need to do. But heres a rundown on doing a pig.. if your doing a whole hog, use the cheese cloth from the beginning.

Wash the piglet real well. Dry it inside & out. Rub the inside of the pig kosher salt and turbinado sugar, and softened butter(or oil)..
***even bacon fat works well in placed of butter, but changes the flavor of the inside meat a bit. *That may be risky for competition.***

I added a load of chopped apples, garlic, thyme leaves etc to the cavity and sewed it up. I'm not sure if you can do that at your event, so if you have to cook it open with nothing in the cavity, then just skewer the legs into position, pull the forelegs foreword and the hindlegs backward and skewer them with a bamboo skewer. Front legs should be outside the ears.

Put a block of wood or rolled up foil ball in the pig's mouth to hold it open.

Rub the outside of the pig with soft butter mixed about 25% olive oil to raise the smoke point, and then whatever rub your using.

Cover the pig's ears with pieces of greased paper, or cheese cloth and tie very lightly with butcher twine. take this off in the last 45 minutes.

if your using an offset, put the reear end near the firebox.
if your cooking over coals, put the coalbeds under the rump and the shoulders and only a few coals under the cavity.

i cooked at about 300+. In order to make the skin crispy baste the piglet every 30 minutes with oil or melted butter with some applejuice. To make more crispyness, add some flour to the butter when you brush it on too, but beware judges may not like the texture if they get the skin.. It will be similar to fried chickn. (a la sawdustguy).

at any point, you can cover the pig with cheese cloth, especially if its getting to brown. Every half hour, remove the cheese cloth and dunk it in applejuice/butter micture and put it back on. Again, if yur doig whole hog, put the cheese cloth on at the beginning, and then remove it during the last 60-90 minutes.

yup.. several times.. for OTHER people.. by request.. and delivered it to THEIR table.. biggest was 18lbs. just about fit in the BYC.

and no i didnt like it.. but they sure did.

but never a whole hog.. ya couldnt pay me enuf.

bigger pigs

thanks Phil. I know we will incorporate a lot of these ideas. As I say, we are clueless but it is another adventure!!!
Nanceee

BBQchef33 said:
i've done sucklig pigs, but never whole hogs. Dont know which you need to do. But heres a rundown on doing a pig.. if your doing a whole hog, use the cheese cloth from the beginning.

Wash the piglet real well. Dry it inside & out. Rub the inside of the pig kosher salt and turbinado sugar, and softened butter(or oil)..
***even bacon fat works well in placed of butter, but changes the flavor of the inside meat a bit. *That may be risky for competition.***

I added a load of chopped apples, garlic, thyme leaves etc to the cavity and sewed it up. I'm not sure if you can do that at your event, so if you have to cook it open with nothing in the cavity, then just skewer the legs into position, pull the forelegs foreword and the hindlegs backward and skewer them with a bamboo skewer. Front legs should be outside the ears.

Put a block of wood or rolled up foil ball in the pig's mouth to hold it open.

Rub the outside of the pig with soft butter mixed about 25% olive oil to raise the smoke point, and then whatever rub your using.

Cover the pig's ears with pieces of greased paper, or cheese cloth and tie very lightly with butcher twine. take this off in the last 45 minutes.

if your using an offset, put the reear end near the firebox.
if your cooking over coals, put the coalbeds under the rump and the shoulders and only a few coals under the cavity.

i cooked at about 300+. In order to make the skin crispy baste the piglet every 30 minutes with oil or melted butter with some applejuice. To make more crispyness, add some flour to the butter when you brush it on too, but beware judges may not like the texture if they get the skin.. It will be similar to fried chickn. (a la sawdustguy).

at any point, you can cover the pig with cheese cloth, especially if its getting to brown. Every half hour, remove the cheese cloth and dunk it in applejuice/butter micture and put it back on. Again, if yur doig whole hog, put the cheese cloth on at the beginning, and then remove it during the last 60-90 minutes.

oh.. BTW.. 2 of the piggys were in cryo. :)

How long of a cook was the suckling pig? How long would a whole hog go?

Bernie
Champlain Pit Crew

I've helped cooked whole hogs two or three times. As far as prepping goes...I killed one in Turkey with a shotgun - does that count? :)

Like Phil said make sure they're clean inside and out. Burn the hair off with a propane torch, too. I don't believe we ever rubbed, basted, OR injected any of them before mounting them on the rotisserie.

Keep a good bed of coals going, turn regularly. The hogs we cooked went all night. Cut freshly cooked cracklin' off as you go. Ergo the need for hair removal!

ihbobry said:
How long of a cook was the suckling pig? How long would a whole hog go?

Bernie
Champlain Pit Crew

Since they werent for me, i cooked them high, 300+ and went for about 40-50min/lb.. took them off at 150-160 in the rump depending on how the meat tore off.

Aome of the real details: when it started getting done, I noticed the meat i the center was cooking faster than the meat in the shoulders and hams. (Just like in a turkey with breast being done and thighs needed another hour.. ). I cheated. As i let the firebox fires go out, I wrapped the center of porky in double layers of cheese cloth and made coal beds under the front and back, with nothing(heat wise) in the middle. It let the center cool down while the heavier ends finished up. I had to flip it a couple times though, and concentrated cooking from the inside(cavity) so i didnt brown the skin to much. When ever it was skin up, i had it covered with cheese cloth. when turning it, do that gently, or it tears apart.

Also, I kept a pot filled with applejuice, butter, garlic and cheese cloths warming on the firebox. i can swap out the cloth, or dip the existing ones in it when needed.

Nancee,
Tim and I will have our brine pumps with us. Injection is used a lot to keep lots of moisture in the hog.

My references tell me that whole hog is usally cooked hot and, depending on the weight, take between 10-18 hours. Most rub the skin with oil and season it - and definately season up the inside.

I sure wish I'd gotten up to Myron Mixon's cooking class back in September...he's added whole hog to the syllabus of every class now.

We do a hog every year at the BarbQlossal contest at the World Pork Expo in Des Moines, IA. It is a KCBS contest, so you are just putting your hog entry in a styrofoam box. We don't care about skin, ears, or any of that jazz. We actually cook ours skin side down, split in half, and baste with the juices that collect in the rib cage.

We use a zip saw to cut the ribcage down the center so we end up with spare ribs and baby back ribs. We usually turn in a couple ribs, but cutting the rib cage also lets the pig relax while it cooks and lays flat.

We also make sure that our pig doesn't go into the tumbler at the meat locker. Like was said, remove the hair with a torch.

Some people are particular the size and breed of the hog. We simply use 100 lb., white hogs. We've done hogs for three years and placed 4th, 7th, and 8th out of 65ish teams. We usually cook our two halfs differently and always come back to the half that we injected.

Back