Hot & fast Wagyu brisket today. (pron)

Peteg

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Inspired by Myron Mixon's 4 hour brisket cook, I ordered a Wagyu full packer from Snake River farms this week. I planned on firing the UDS up to about 340 and then wrapping after about 2 hours until it hit 180 or so. Even with the temps in the 20's today in Wisconsin, the UDS had no trouble maintaining 330 with the Digi Q hooked up. I threw on the 9 lb trimmed brisket along with a 7 lb butt at 7:30 AM. The UDS made it back up to 330 within 10 minutes. By 9:00 AM the flat was reading 170, so I wrapped it and threw it back on. By 9:30 it hit 180 and I wrapped it and threw it in the cooler. It didn't probe like I would have liked at 180. In hindsight, I should have let it go another 10 - 20 degrees. I left the brisket towel-wrapped in a cooler until about 5:30 when I threw it back on the smoker for 30 minutes just to firm it up. The pork by the way, I wrapped at 9:30 and pulled and coolerd at 11:30. All together, 2 hours total cook time for the brisket & 4 for the pork. The pork by the way was terrific. It could have gone a little longer but not a whole lot. This is what I learned from today.
1. When cooking hot and fast, you need to remember that your finish temps are going to be higher than normal.
2. When cooking hot and fast the point lags behind the flat (at least in this case). When I pulled the brisket, the point was about 20-30 degrees behind the flat
In regards to the Wagyu, I don't know that it was worth the extra price. It's hard to really measure the difference between Wagyu and choice since I don't typically cook hot and fast.
In regards to the hot & fast, I'll probably try it again just keeping in mind that I need to cook it a little longer.
Hope this helps somebody from dorking up an expensive cut of meat.
Pete G.

Attachments

• 12-12 Flat.jpg
    12-12 Flat.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 713
  • 12-12 Cooked.jpg
    12-12 Cooked.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 713
Last edited:
Thanks, I have been thinking about trying hot and fast tomorrow because it is a crazy busy day and I need to have a bunch of brisket ready for a meal on tuesday night, you've inspired me, I'm giving it a go.

Looks great, thank you for sharing! One day I would love to try a Wagyu brisket.

that brisky looks tasty from here.
i use to get snake rivers kobe burgers. they were the best. lately the taste is not there anymore.

Lookin good. Just out of curiosity, what did you pay per pound for it?

Thanks for the kind words guys. The brisket was just under $5 per lb. With shipping I figured it right around $7 per lb.

I think he finished 2 or 3. He does have 4 other 1st place briskets this year though.

That looks great! Nice job Pete, and thanx for sharing your findings

The brisket sure looks good. Whats wrong with it? Too tuff? I dont pull mine till 195 and a good probe. Is that what i'm doing wrong?

The brisket sure looks good. Whats wrong with it? Too tuff? I dont pull mine till 195 and a good probe. Is that what i'm doing wrong?

Hey Captain Dave, It wasn't quite tender enough. During a regular cook, I would pull it when it probes nicely (typically around 180ish). I've had them finish anywhere between 170-190. Anything I've taken up past 190 has been a little dry for me. One main problem from this cook had to do with the flat finishing before the point. Typically my points run a little ahead of the flat, so that was kind of strange. I'm also not sure how the high heat effected the moisture loss on this one. I've never collected so much jus from a brisket.

Good lookin' briskey!!...I just ate breakfast and now I find myself hungry again....Nice job!:lol::lol::lol:

firecrackerjack

Wagyu is fantastic meat. Just remember it is a breed of cattle, so just like other cattle breeds all Wagyu is not created equal, even if they come from the same stock. The Wagyu producer I use has some fantastic product and since he sponsors me, I am able to sift through all his briskets to find the ones with the best feel, shape, thickness and marbling. There are many rejects.

As for hot and fast with Wagyu. Due to the increase in fat content I am wondering f it took longer with the hot and fast method as there is more fat to render out of the meat? Just a thought, then again, I am a low and slow purist...

Back