Some Freezing Ideas

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
Pretty simple stuff here, but may be of use to some.
I hate taking a large bag of BBQ (or anything) out of the freezer and then having to eat it for the next week to use it up :twisted:
So, here is how I handle stuff like Buckboard bacon, Canadian (to include the UnC... variation :lol:) Bacon, Pastrami, Fatties, and stuff I just want a serving or two of at a time.

I freeze the meat on a sheet pan covered with freezer paper. Plain ole' wax paper would work just fine.
The little "stacks" work wonderful.
When frozen, the pieces break apart easy for stuffing into quart freezer bags.

Freeze1.jpg

The quart freezer bags hold serving size batches fine. Enough to last me a day or two at a time. I "squish" as much air out as possible, but not as good as vacuum sucking.

The final step is to put the quart bags into a gallon freezer bag. The double bagging seems to really help seal them up and prevent or minimize freezer burn.

Freeze3.jpg

For any longer term storage or larger quantities, I still use and love my FoodSaver! :lol:

Anyway, just some thoughts that work well for me.

TIM

Great idea. I need to start doing this as we are forced to eat the same Q for days on end. Not that I'm complaining but smaller portions would be ideal.

Kapn I'm with you. Just the wife and I now,so when I freeze I use small quanties also. I freeze the Q in 3/4 lb packs or 1 1/2 lb packs dinner for two and lunches for two. The cost of the vacume bags is steep but worth not having to just eat it up. also being able to just warm up the bag from the freezer is nice. We do this camping alot of times:icon_bigsmil

So let me understand this...You freeze the meat first on the freezer paper, then you package them into freezer bags, then put them back in the freezer?

Explain your reasoning for freezing single slices before bagging and freezing Kapn.

Thanks for the tips. It's just two of us now and it's hard to package for that sometimes.

Explain your reasoning for freezing single slices before bagging and freezing Kapn.

Iffin' I just put a bunch of slices in a bag and freeze--I get lots of moisture and a big glump of frozen stuff when I want to use it.
Frozen together by moisture.
That is not really meat moisture, just the moisture from the cooking process that clouds up the bag and hangs around forever. :lol:

Iffin' I freeze as described, the pieces and parts are separate and very manageable to use.
I can use a few slices or all of them easily since they are "separate" items.
Pulls off the surface moisture, but leaves the pieces and parts just like new.
Kinda like freezing corn in the same way. Instead of a "glob" of corn, you have the individual kernels to pour out!

Just a process for those small items where you want a "serving" and not a big meal.

That is all.

Did I "Muddy the Water" ??? :oops:

TIM

Nope. You made it perfectly clear. I always freeze on a sheet pan in separate portions to "solidify" the product. Then I bag and freeze it.

It's really just me here, but there is also the Mother, Daughter (away at school and looking for 'care packages') and the GF... I normally do small quantities (around 8 ounces) in the vac-u-suc and that works out fine for us...

What I liked was putting all those small bags into a large bag to keep them organized!!!

Thanks Kapn, being an old dog........I learn something new here each and every day......

It's the way to go Tim! It's getting that way around my place too! I was packaging 8 and 16oz bags, but my wife and daughter are not big on leftovers, so the grab n' go bags work for me. I also have some cheapo square plastic servers I'll freeze bean soups, chili and spaghetti sauces, pop them out ouf the tray and into the Foodsaver bags, double sealed and boil when needed.

Not a bad idea. Since I'm single, I'm always looking for new ways to store my leftovers in single serving sizes. I may try your method as opposed to my current method of putting one or two servings into a vacume seal bag and then vac and seal it.

Back