• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Hardwood Briquetts

Frank Sacco

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I got my hands on a couple bags of Rancher a few months back and loved the way it cooked in my WSM. Unfortunatly in NY it's hard to come by, so my mission was to find a local supplier of a hardwood briquette. I located Wicked Good Charcoal out of Maine who has a distrubutor in Brooklyn NY. From my research WGC and Rancher are very compatible in the way they're manufactured to burn time. Has anyone on the board cooked with WGC product and how would you rate it to Rancher or other hardwood briquettes?

I got my hands on a couple bags of Rancher a few months back and loved the way it cooked in my WSM. Unfortunatly in NY it's hard to come by, so my mission was to find a local supplier of a hardwood briquette. I located Wicked Good Charcoal out of Maine who has a distrubutor in Brooklyn NY. From my research WGC and Rancher are very compatible in the way they're manufactured to burn time. Has anyone on the board cooked with WGC product and how would you rate it to Rancher or other hardwood briquettes?

Disclaimer: My BBQ team is sponsored by Wicked Good Charcoal

That being said I love the Wicked Good Briquettes. I use them in my Meadow Creek chicken cooker and I find I get less ash than Kingsford and a more even fire than if I use Lump coal. I've never tried the Rancher so I can't really compare the two.

Last edited:
My last two cooks were with lump and like you say inconsistance heat. I've taken a liking to the hardwood briquettes because you can get a longer burn time with less ash and you don't get the fowl odor like you do with Kingsford. Don't get me wrong Kingsford works for me but I'm looking to kick it up a notch.

I'm leaving for Massachusetts tomorrow and I'll be on the prowl for some WGC for a few test cooks. Any recommendations of where to find it.

Has anyone on the board cooked with WGC product and how would you rate it to Rancher or other hardwood briquettes?
Yessir. There is 50 pounds of it in my basement right now.
Smooth, consistent, slow, hot burn.
Have never used another hardwood briquette, so my comparison is to lump and regular briquette.
I only use it in the WSM, it seems kind of a waste to toss it in the "furnace" on the offset.
WGC is all I burn.

Yankee, I'm glad you brought up the Wicked Good Charcoal. The briquettes are second to none!!! I get calls all the time from people I have sold charcoal too about them wanting more and more. It has really started taking off down here in KC.

They have a distribution center in Enfield CT if your going by that way but you might have to buy a pallet. They have a list of retail stores on their website. www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com

I was on WGC website via the smokering during my research phase a few weeks ago. There's a distributor in Brooklyn. I may look into buying a pallet load if I can generate intrest amongst some co workers and friends who smoke or who ever may be interested in purchasing at cost on LI.

I'm glad to see positive feed back. I'm going to put a call in next week to Brooklyn to find out some more details.

If anyone on LI is interested in trying out WGC briquettes please private msg me and I will see what I can do.

I wonder what kind of hardwoods are used, and does it add any flavor to the meat? Would you add less chunks of hardwood to your cook due to the fact that the briquettes are made from hardwood?

$10 for a 10 lb bag of Wicked Good Briqs here in the PNW. What does it go for on the East Coast?

$10 for a 10 lb bag of Wicked Good Briqs here in the PNW. What does it go for on the East Coast?

If you go on the WGC website you will find 11# bags ranging between $5.80 - $6.80 depending upon volume purchased. Shipping costs would bring the per bag price up a few $$$ also. So I would say that the price per bag is relatively the same on the east coast.

The Woodman in Brooklyn is a good guy-- I believe he's the distributor you are talking about. I head out to East Hampton pretty frequently, so I'd be interested in splitting some of that pallet with ya......

Back