American Lamb Board - Summer Grill Pack

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I was contacted by the American Lamb Board and offered one of their Summer Grilling Packs. They sent an 8 lb. fresh, boneless leg of lamb, recipes, herbs, stainless skewers, and an instant read thermometer.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Attachments

• 085 [640x480].JPG
    085 [640x480].JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 153
Scott, you are welcome anytime you are in KC.

Jim, FREE! They want me to share it and write about it on my site. Pretty sweet deal. 1 out of 3 Americans have never made lamb at home. I'm one of them. This will be my first lamb I've ever made.

how do i sign up for that program? and do they offer for sale as well?

i've been wanting to find a supplier around here, just haven't looked real hard yet. the guy that lives behind me has sheep though :biggrin:
whenever he has lambs, the coyotes are all over the place so he has a guard turkey!

Scott, you are welcome anytime you are in KC.

Jim, FREE! They want me to share it and write about it on my site. Pretty sweet deal. 1 out of 3 Americans have never made lamb at home. I'm one of them. This will be my first lamb I've ever made.

From what I see and hear, I would have thought it would have been more like 3 out of 4 that have never made lamb at home.:shock:

Personally I love the stuff, and enjoy cooking it. Most of my family though, are so-so about it, so I don't do it as often as I would like.
Good luck on your virgin lamb [cook that is]

I got to admit I'm a little intimidated cooking Lamb on my smokers, I don't know why? Maybe it's the cost? Free is great! Let us know when you do the write-up, that'll probably be the kick in the A$$ I'll need to get mooovin'.

Nice score Todd!

Brian

Sweeeet!

I am sure you already know this, but go light on the smoke and take a lot of pictures. :mrgreen:

I got to admit I'm a little intimidated cooking Lamb on my smokers, I don't know why? Maybe it's the cost? Free is great! Let us know when you do the write-up, that'll probably be the kick in the A$$ I'll need to get mooovin'.

*kick*
1jul2007-024.jpg

1jul2007-027.jpg

sorry :icon_blush:

not expensive at all

Lamb

Damn Rick you've gotta quit that chit, chewing on the monitor, looks awsome...and I love lamb, milk and butter and cheese its all good!!

Lamb is awesome, my wife is Armenian and grilled lamb chops and braised leg of lamb are two of my favorites when we head over to the in-laws. I've been wanting to try a leg on the smoker. Be sure to post the results.

i went over to the american lamb board website and downloaded a lamb cut chart and brochure at their retail materials section... pretty nice, but i don't see this grill pack for sale, dangit!

americanlambboard.org

Lamb is awesome, my wife is Armenian and grilled lamb chops and braised leg of lamb are two of my favorites when we head over to the in-laws. I've been wanting to try a leg on the smoker. Be sure to post the results.

Same here. My wife is half Armenian and half Irish, born in Fresno. We've been married 22-years and I've learned to cook rice pilaf, lamb shish kebabs and some other Armenian dishes better than the inlaws. :mrgreen:

About 10 years ago the San Jose Mercury news printed a burgundy wine marinade for lamb shish kebabs that is killer.

Grilled Lamb Shish Kebab

4 pounds boned leg of lamb cut into 2-inch cubes

Marinade:
4 medium onions (minced)
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
4 teaspoons black pepper
4 teaspoons salt
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups burgundy wine

Mix marinade ingredients and marinate lamb cubes for 24 hours.
Thread meat on to skewers. Grill over hot coals for about 20 minutes.

Allow 1 pound of boned leg of lamb per person.

Serves 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweeeet!

I am sure you already know this, but go light on the smoke and take a lot of pictures. :mrgreen:

I was thinking kabobs grilled on the Weber Kettle. Should I grill over hot coals, medium coals, or banked to both sides? What about wood chunks? Flavor/Species?

I was thinking kabobs grilled on the Weber Kettle. Should I grill over hot coals, medium coals, or banked to both sides? What about wood chunks? Flavor/Species?

There is a good recipe for butterflied leg of lamb on page 153 of The Thrill of the Grill.

Seems such a waste to cut that good looking hunk of meat up into little kabobs. Maybe you could cut some off for kabobs and then butterfly and grill the larger portion.

I can tell you more about the recipe in a PM if you want, but don't feel right posting it on here.

You sear the meat well on medium high heat, then move to the cool half of the kettle and cover and cook for 15 or 20 minutes until you get it to the doneness you like.

Daaaamn, now I need some lamb.:mrgreen:

1 out of 3 Americans have never made lamb at home.

Cough......You're taking the P......

Is that statistic correct?

Its one of the 4 primary meat groups!!!!

Don't Kebob it....thats a waste....

If it's your first lamb, I'd keep it simple, butterfly it, spike it all over with a fork to create lots of little holes for the marinade to soak into. In a pestle and mortar (or food processor!) throw in a pinch of salt & pepper, small handful fresh rosemary (save that dried stuff for stews), half bulb garlic and the juice and grated rind of 1/2 a lemon [mix and match the quantities until you like the taste!!]. In a bowl mix in olive oil until you have a oily goopy mess. Rub the lamb all over and throw in a bag, pop in the rest of the marinade and seal. Casually throw into fridge. Best left for a few hours. Pop outside, setup grill for indirect, apple or cherry both work well with lamb but you might wish to omit the wood for the first time so you can just taste the meat and herbs). Scrape off 99% of marinade. Pop Lamb over coals until it's browned up nicely (both sides) and then pull off to indirect side of the grill. When I cook indirect I only put coals on one side as I find it esier to control heat and gives room for big pieces of meat well away from coals. Pop lid on and leave until cooked. Should be eaten medium rare. Over cook it and you will regret it!!!!

Fresh Mint, Sage and Tyme all work well with Lamb. Tyme could be used instead of Rosemary in above, but I think Rosemary works better.

If you are feeling more adventurous try my recipe at the bottom of page 1 in this thread http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28881&highlight=lamb

PS - Beer goes well with lamb!

Last edited:
The stat is from the American Lamb Board...study

American Lamb Board said:
Nearly one-third (30%) of consumers who have eaten lamb in a restaurant but have never purchased lamb at their grocery store to prepare at home report that they do not know how to prepare it.

35% reported that they have never eaten lamb.

Hey, that's me!!!

So that means that of the 65% of Americans that have eaten Lamb, 30% picked it off a menu.

So only 70% of 65% have cooked it themselves!!!

Back