Real Wood on Green Egg

BigonPig

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried to cook with real wood on a Big Green Egg? I normally use real wood lump charcoal but was considering an alternative.

Even if you burned the wood down to coals at first, adding wood during a cook would be mighty difficult.

I guess you could but why? Lump charcoal will burn much longer and you just add a chunk of your favorite wood to that for the right amount of smokiness. What are you planning to cook?

My .02 cents.. You would tow a fine line between a small hot fire with good smoke and too hot for a ceramic and a smouldering log with thick smoke..

As mentioned you would have to add as it would be all but impossible to set the wood up in away for consistent burn..

Just thinking out loud.

To get the best from a ceramic cooker, use quality charcoal. There are many fine attributes to ceramic, one is the superb ability to start up and run on a fraction of the fuel of a stick burner or metal cooker. Besides defeating one of the purposes of cooking with a ceramic cooker, a wood fire might create a hot spot as well as make for a difficult mid-cook refueling. Keep it simple.

Back