Brisket Packer w/ tons of fat

grilling24x7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've never seen a brisket with this much fat all over. It's a 15 lber.

My plan is to find the "top" and then trim all the top fat off. Then trim the bottom fat to about 1/4 inch-1/2 inch.

My smoking plan is to smoke this on the UDS for about 7 hours and then foil till completion.

Any suggestions or comments? I've never bought a brisket from this supplier before. They sell amazing dry aged beef so I can only imagine this will be a fantastic brisket, just as long as I can figure out the fat issue.

Thanks,

John

Attachments

• brisket1.jpg
    brisket1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 488
  • brisket2.jpg
    brisket2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 484
That is a healthy looking Brisket Sounds like you have a good plan Please show progress pics

Sounds like you have a good plan. Keep a little fat on the top, too.

Most trim to 1/4" all the way around.

Huh..... Looks like 2/3's of the flat is gone. It almost looks like a full packer was cut in half.

Huh..... Looks like 2/3's of the flat is gone. It almost looks like a full packer was cut in half.

Interesting. I'll take better photos tomorrow when I open the pack. It's real hard to see in the pack with the cellphone pic. I can see a flat section for sure but I'm not sure how much.

It looks like you got (and paid for) a bunch of fat that is on the right of the first pic and the left on the second pic. Next time have them trim the hard fat away before ringing it up to pay per pound.
Looking forward to some "undressed" pics.

It looks like you got (and paid for) a bunch of fat that is on the right of the first pic and the left on the second pic. Next time have them trim the hard fat away before ringing it up to pay per pound.
Looking forward to some "undressed" pics.
My Pa tole me "Son don't ever let another man handle yur meat" the point is it's cheaper to trim it yourself than it is to pay someone to do it for you. In my neighbor hood that equates to75-125% more per lb for the market trim vs the untrimmed. Untrimmed packers 2.18 trimmed 5.28 lb Chunks of Flat or Point with no fat cap 6.05Lb

Thanks for the tip on Roseda, I hadn't hard of them before, I'll definitely have to check them out.

You should be good. I buy from Roseda all the time. Great beef.

It really is A+ beef. I'm a little disappointed after reading the above thread, but I have to realize that do I have a 15 pound brisket here, it's huge. I can probably still get away with a bunch of great point and a little flat.

Fingers crossed.

I decided to "live blog" the smoking of this wonderful beef brisket.

If you are interested follow me here---> http://www.grilling24x7.com

I just lightly trimmed the fat and got a general plan of where the point and the flat are.

This will be interesting.

John

roseda_brisket21.jpg

That is funky looking. The point eventually descends below the flat so I don't get what's going on there. But good luck.

John, did you cut that off square or did it come out of the cryovac that way? If it came out that way, you got ripped off. If that is how all their briskets are cut, they are charging for full packers and not giving you the whole flat. I wonder if they are saving that to make corned beef? It doesn't see right that they cut off a quarter of a brisket. I'll try and take a picture of a full brisket so you know what it looks like.

John, did you cut that off square or did it come out of the cryovac that way? If it came out that way, you got ripped off. If that is how all their briskets are cut, they are charging for full packers and not giving you the whole flat. I wonder if they are saving that to make corned beef? It doesn't see right that they cut off a quarter of a brisket. I'll try and take a picture of a full brisket so you know what it looks like.

That's how the brisket came. I'm guessing they cut the flat off to make it a smaller piece. I'll call next week to ask (complain) and see what they say.

It's on the smoker now, so we'll see.

roseda_brisket5.jpg

Ok guys here are the results.

First off - this was AWESOME. Very tasty. However, I do feel like I got screwed out of 50% of more of my brisket flat.

roseda_brisket13.jpg

Above is after I used my hand to grab the big chunks of fat and toss them. It looks to me like the flat is at the bottom and the point is on top. Clearly, I am missing most of my flat.

roseda_brisket14.jpg

Above is what I think was the flat. I sliced it thin. Clearly there isn't much of it and this was sandwiched in between fat and point so there is no bark.

roseda_brisket15.jpg

Some of the point went nicely into little cubes. Man were these tender!

roseda_brisket17.jpg

Above is the pulled brisket. These parts were so wet and full of love that I could only pull them. Wow. Tasty!

So, in summary, my method was awesome: 7 hours on the smoker and then 2 hours in the 270 degree oven. It was "like butter" everywhere after the 2 hour oven.

My only gripe? Here's a 15 lb brisket. How much did it cost? Ok, sit down. $63! This 15 pound brisket yielded me 5, yes five, pounds of meat. I'm not sure if that's normal or not.

I'm fine with supporting my local beef farm and I appreciate that they dry age the beef. So $63 isn't the end of the world. But c'mon, don't tell me I'm gonna get "point and flat" when I clearly don't have the amount of flat as the typical $25 Walmart packer brisket.

Thanks again guys. Overall this was a success. So tasty.

Back