• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cook's Country Chicken taste test

cpw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I was watching Cook's Country (or it could have been ATK) the other day, and they were doing a taste test of several different chicken brands, for flavor, texture, etc. The taste testing results were that the brands that were air chilled had a far superior product than those that were liquid chilled. The winning brand was Mary's chicken, and the runner up was Bell & Evans. I know a few teams use Smart Chicken, but that wasn't one of the samples, but being air chilled seems like it would have made it one of the top results.

Just passing on the info. I thought it was pretty interesting.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/tastetests/overview.asp?docid=38414

Unfortunately for me, I can't get any of them here. Maybe with Whole foods opening soon, I can get some there. I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to get some of the Smart chicken shipped here to use in my next comp.

One caveat to their test is which ones were "enhanced" & which ones weren't??? I look for the non enhanced which Publix carries where most have Tyson enhanced around here w/ some Sanderson Farms but don't know offhand if theirs is enhanced or not.

Is brining air chilled chicken counterproductive? Especially if you are brining for 6-8 hours?

Is brining air chilled chicken counterproductive? Especially if you are brining for 6-8 hours?

That's a good question. It seems like on the show,they've been doing dry brining more often than wet brine, but that's more to help with crispy skin.

Also, I happened to be at publix this afternoon, and their organic chicken is air chilled. I might have to give that a try.

One caveat to their test is which ones were "enhanced" & which ones weren't??? I look for the non enhanced which Publix carries where most have Tyson enhanced around here w/ some Sanderson Farms but don't know offhand if theirs is enhanced or not.

All the Tyson's I've seen is enhanced and all the Sanderson's I've seen is Not enhanced. I buy Sanderson's.

Back