Weird Little Brisket cooked up great

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
My very pricey brisket point turned out to be the most oddly shaped and tiny packer ever. Still, it turned into a lovely sandwich. As always, no need to click to the blog, it is all here.

On Saturday, I hit my normal meat counter, and lo and behold, what looked like a brisket point was right there. For me, I love the point far more than the flat of the brisket and here was a small grass-fed brisket from my favorite Humboldt County producer. Purchased! Woke up Sunday morning, fired the pit and took a look at my little brisket point, and was surprised to see, it as a full 4 pound packer, well, a weird, tiny, 4 pound packer with the smallest, thinnest excuse for a flat I have ever seen. By the time I got done trimming off the membrane and such, it was probably around 3 pounds. No matter, I seasoned it up with Ted & Barneys Meat Rub, a product that comes from just over the river from where this apparently tiny steer once sort of fed.

Tiny Packer

From here, I decided to roll it, that paper thin flat would never hold up in the cook. So, a little butcher twine and I had a brisket roast. The meat was so soft, it barely held in the butcher tie I used. Onto the smoker which had locked into 250F by then.

Brisket Roast, I'll be famous

It sat at the 250F temperature for 2 hours, then I wrapped it in some butcher paper and forgot about it for another 2 hours. The temperature somewhere along the line approached 375F, and the paper got a little crisp. But, after a mere 6 hours, it felt about right, so I probed and it was tender. Pulled, wrapped in new paper and rested for about an hour. I had no idea what to expect.

Tiny little slices

Well, I ended up with tiny little slices of brisket, but, where they tender, they sure looked good. A tiny little smoke ring, almost no visible fat, let's check if it bends.

Yep, bendy, downright floppy

So, the slices flopped right over, I didn't bother with the slicing knife, just a regular scalloped utility knife, but, cut like a champ, no crumbling and very soft. Yep, I can cook a brisket still, darn fine one actually. Time to build a sandwich.

A tiny sandwich, with tiny dill pickle slices

A little horseradish mayo, some dill pickles and a soft white roll, lightly toasted. Who needs a plate, I got a cutting board.

Optional Ale shown

While the whole thing was smaller than expected, the flavor was all brisket. First off, the Ted & Barney's Meat Rub was excellent. I am surprised every time I use it, it mostly look like salt and pepper, but, it gets the job done. While the brisket was weirdly shaped and tiny, it cooked up just like a full size packer, and rendered out beautifully. A tender, flavorful brisket in every way.

Cook Detail:
UDS cooker
temps: 250F (2 hours), 250F to 375F (2 hours), 325F (2 hours)
wrapped after 2 hours (butcher paper)
unwrapped after 4 hours
rested 1 hour or so (wrapped in clean butcher paper)

Ill take a couple of them samiches over here looks really good and I really have to try some horseradish mayo on my next brisket

Looks perfect to me!
That had to come from a steer under a thousand pounds I am guessing. Tender as all get out.

Bull, I think it came from a bull about the size of a great dane. It probably rode to the feed lot in a Prius.

I got a 4# full packer from a cousin who has a hobby farm a while back. IIRC, he claims he butchers around 1100#. Mine didn't come out as good as yours. It was a fun little cook.

I had a small packer once that was a little weird, but that one looks much smaller and weirder. That is until you farking nailed it to perfection and put it on that sammich!:thumb::hungry::nod:

Ryan, I truly think the only way I could cook this was to tie it up into a roast. That tiny flat would never have cooked up right on it's own.

:eusa_clap That looks amazing and bears a striking resemblance to my dinner tonight right down to the china.:icon_smil

:eusa_clap That looks amazing and bears a striking resemblance to my dinner tonight right down to the china.:icon_smil
I pulled out the good china, you can't see, but, that is a canning jar I am drinking from :bow:

Sandwich looks great. I also love drinking from a mason jar. My MIL has pint sized mason jar mugs which are farking awesome.

Ryan, I truly think the only way I could cook this was to tie it up into a roast. That tiny flat would never have cooked up right on it's own.

I have no doubt your right. I tend to think that Volume/Surface_Area ratio is critical in bbq. I always find it easier to cook bigger cuts with high Volume/Surface Area rations. My 4# brisket and probably your's just have too much surface area. They are charred up and disingrated into nothing before the insides can cook long enough to become goodness.

I tried to do mine using my traditional method, (S&P and cook at 250* - 275* until done) and it came out okay, but dry. Not the nirvana I was hoping for. I had really high hope. I think we discussed it way back when. Probably just using paper of foil would have helped out. I like your idea of tieing it up - but I've never been good at tieing meat. :wink:

Not trying to compete with you. Here are some photos of mine.

P1000651.JPG

In a typical 9x13 pan, it doesn't look sooo small. :wink:

P1000652.JPG

P1000654.JPG

P1000655.JPG

Looks soooooo small there on the grate. :cry:
I guess I didn't get a money shot.

As usual, I have a theory Ryan. It goes like this, and it is based on trimmed weight.

Any brisket under 6 pounds is too small to cook slow, and too small to reliably cook to tenderness without some technique to shelter the meat from drying. I chose rolling, but, foil or Dutch oven would also work.

From 7 to 10 pounds, they can be done using a more traditional method, but, with wrapping. If it is a large flat, then maybe not. But, too many small briskets out there right now.

From 11 to 14 pounds, this is the sweet spot, these cook up reliably great, and you can find thicker flats and decent points in this weight group. Any brisket in this weight range will cook up with any method done well.

Above 15 pounds, these again get tricky, they often have very thick flats and can take so long to get tender, the surface is hard to keep moist.

This was a neat experiment, but, amongst other things, I want more brisket and there is almost none left. And it was odd, with too much waste, that piece of meat ended up costing more than a steak. Just not worth it.

Back