• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

ribs w/o foil

I agree with the higher temp advice as well. Spritzing with apple juice every so often also helps keep em moist as well as adds some extra flavor.

At that temp I would have guessed it should have taken about 8 hours to get them tender done.

Hey HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Jim, I think your method with wrapping ribs and holding at 170 is a good idea and logical. How many times have you done it this way and for how long ? I have a G2 Party and was thinking about putting ribs on very bottom rack in a covered pan with a little AJ just to hold them. I think the temp could be close to that 170 but I have to experiment Thanks

If people would look at there smokers as a oven the world of bbq would be a better place.

Sent from my SGH-T999

I usually cook ribs 275-300. Yesterday I cooked a St Louis rack at 225/230, because that's where the temp dropped to and held when I closed the bottom vents after I put the rack on at 270 (dome). I decided to see how long it would hold and to cook the ribs that low for the first time. (Sorry, no pics).

After 5 hrs I boosted the temp to 260 (dome) and they finished (bend test) 1hr 45 mins later.

They were juicy w/ nice bark and chew. No foil or spritzing. All I did was rub them w/ Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb seasoning and refrigerate for 24 hrs. I had my own BBQ sauce on the side.

I probably won't do em that low again, for time purposes, but it's nice to know it works.

Last edited:
Good thread. I almost always don't use foil but I learned a few new tricks today to try out.

^^^ +1 on what these brothers are sayin!

On my last cook, did 6 racks and wrapped in BP at 3-1/2 hours to limit the smoke and keep them from getting too dark, they were done an hour later and the moisture was great. Doing 9 racks the same way this weekend (along with 3 briskets and 30 chicken halves) for a little family party.

I thought with butcher paper they will still take on smoke? :confused:

Great rib cooking thread!

275 for 3.5-4 hrs seems to be the magic number! Look for that pig honey and your close!

Last edited:
Jim, I think your method with wrapping ribs and holding at 170 is a good idea and logical. How many times have you done it this way and for how long ? I have a G2 Party and was thinking about putting ribs on very bottom rack in a covered pan with a little AJ just to hold them. I think the temp could be close to that 170 but I have to experiment Thanks

Here is Gig'em99's thread on brisket secrets which convinced me to try the concept on my last two rib cooks, both of which were spot on. The ribs whose picture I posted above were held for two hours, the last ones were held for three. I am going to try the same concept on a couple of butts this Friday.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154329

Here I go again showcasing how new I am to bbq......Now, at the higher temps. that ya'll are suggesting, are you not scared the meat will burn or be dry? At 220, my ribs are already kind of dry and I hate to see what will happen if I crank it up. I guess I just need to do it and see.

Here I go again showcasing how new I am to bbq......Now, at the higher temps. that ya'll are suggesting, are you not scared the meat will burn or be dry? At 220, my ribs are already kind of dry and I hate to see what will happen if I crank it up. I guess I just need to do it and see.

The reason your ribs were dry was that the fat and connective tissue hadn't broken down yet. The higher temps just do this quicker. Like others have stated, overlooked ribs are too soft, sorta mushy.

You've been corrupted by the "low and slow" mantra. I was there once too, these guys will set you on a path to see the light. Except bacon, I haven't barbecued anything in several years under 275, just gave a brisket the 325 treatment this weekend and it was outstanding.

What are you cooking on?

I do not wrap and always smoke them @ 250 degrees...they turn out ok...:cool: Sounds like yours were undercooked a bit. I cook mine until a toothpick slides into the meat between the bones with little resistance...then I glaze for 15-20 minutes.

156303_557886840889538_1902719959_n.jpg

550213_557942990883923_259253876_n.jpg

309977_557954324216123_1625501288_n.jpg

I don't foil. I cook ribs at 225-250 for four hours - spray with apple juice at hour 2 and 3. Sauce them at hour 4 and hold temp at 250-275 for 2 hours. Total of 6 hour cook time. They come out perfect ever time. Not fall of bone but tender, juicy and bite test perfect for comp .

Back