• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Aaron Franklin: Pulled Pork

I'll have to check that guy out. I liked his brisket video

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I guess I'm gonna have to do another pork butt tonight. I just bought 6 of those kryo-packs for .99/lb.

I normally trim the fat a bit or remove the fat after cooking. What do you guys do?

I remove any hard fat before cooking. Then after its rested I remove what I can find for health reasons.

^^^That is normally how I do it. The one time I did leave the fat it kinda made the meat bland tasting, but it retained moisture a lot longer, ya know for the leftovers. Then again, maybe I didn't season the meat enough.

I agree

I rub and throw it on, no foil

they are very forgiving

probably the easiest cut of meat, as long a you are patient

I dont even put them in the cooler.

Usually I just stick it in the fridge after its done, then the next day, I out it in a roaster and heat it in the oven until its hot and soft, then pull it

The only reason I foil is to retain the juices to use for a sauce to pour back over the meat after I pull it. But now I have started using butcher paper instead of foil..

Odd thing is - I live in Texas. I shop for meat in Texas. And between RD, Costco, Sam's, and a couple other places I've never seen a Pork Shoulder with bone in. Unless I go to the butcher, I've kind of given up on it.

Anyone in the Dallas / Wylie area have any suggestions.

salt pepper onion garlic paprika. All you ever need for pork or poultry.

I would of run away with that pan of pork too.

His total cook time was only 8 hours. Like that.

I guess I'm gonna have to do another pork butt tonight. I just bought 6 of those kryo-packs for .99/lb.

I normally trim the fat a bit or remove the fat after cooking. What do you guys do?

If there is a thick fat cap, I trim most of it off, so I'm smoking meat, not fat. The butt he had didn't have a ton of fat on it. I probably would do what he did with that butt.

CD

Set your standards higher and move to Arkansas! <smile>

Odd thing is - I live in Texas. I shop for meat in Texas. And between RD, Costco, Sam's, and a couple other places I've never seen a Pork Shoulder with bone in. Unless I go to the butcher, I've kind of given up on it.

Anyone in the Dallas / Wylie area have any suggestions.

The butts at COSTCO are boneless. I don't know why.

However, I also find nice butts from time-to-time at Kroger, and they have bones. When I do, I but one or two, and freeze them.

BTW, I can't tell any difference in flavor between bone-in and boneless. I just like the bone to use as my doneness indicator, as Aaron mentioned.

CD

The butts at COSTCO are boneless. I don't know why.

However, I also find nice butts from time-to-time at Kroger, and they have bones. When I do, I but one or two, and freeze them.

BTW, I can't tell any difference in flavor between bone-in and boneless. I just like the bone to use as my doneness indicator, as Aaron mentioned.

CD

I have never seen one in the store without the bone. I as well use the bone for a done ness indicator. :grin:

Would love to use the bone as a doneness indicator! lol ...

glad to see Aaron finally learned what I had been teaching him he'll get there with some more practice haha (just kidding) great video will definitely watch the others

Back